MSI AF causes freeze/crash after AMD Driver updates

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by pesok, Mar 2, 2016.

1. pesok

pesok Guest

GPU:
    295x2-34" 21:9 3.5k IPS
    Windows 10 Pro 64b with R9 295X2. I have noticed this starting with Crimson drivers. After i remove old AMD drivers(via settings), reboot to safe mode and uninstall all AMD drivers with DDU, reboot into normal mode and install new AMD drivers - on the very next reboot, after log in, as soon as MSI AF gets loaded- windows gets very corrupted and then freezes completely. Rebooting causes the same to happen. Only way i found to fix this is to follow this sequence :
    1) uninstall MSI AF when uninstalling old AMD drivers
    2) after installing new AMD drivers -reboot 2se (important)- let AMD drivers completely load after first reboot, activate Crimson interface, click few things(not sure if thats important) and then reboot windows again.
    3) Only after 2nd reboot - reinstall MSI Afterburner(reload saved AF profiles) and it works like it should.

Before Crimson drivers it would work right away without all this, i never had to uninstall or even disable MSI AF when updating AMD drivers.

2. el etro

el etro Guest

GPU:
    RX 470 Triple-X
    I would try a register cleaner together with the DDU when uninstalling the driver. Also update or change the version of the BIOS firmware. Do the complete uninstall, erase the "C:\AMD" folder, reboot to safe boot and use DDU, use register cleaner when you log again into normal Windows session. Then you install the driver.

Is a thing that happens, is a combination of Mobo/OS/GPU/Driver problem, if you change one of them(the right one) you probably would not encounter the problem again.