Frametime monitor

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by derpyQ, Mar 4, 2016.

1. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    If the frametime monitor hooks to a game, can we know for certain that its results are accurate?

There was only one game for which I ever double-checked frametimes using fraps, and I noticed the numbers were pretty different. Fraps showed roughly 16.66 with occasional microstutters, while AB showed constant stuttering between about 16.5 and 17.2.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Before discussing the accuracy you absolutely need to understand what is framerate monitor, how and when frametime is being measured and what do you see on the graph when sampling period is higher than single frame time.

3. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    I'm sorry, I don't follow. If "framerate monitor" doesn't define itself, then I don't know what it is, nor how to find out what it is.

If there's something wrong with my wording, all I want to know is this: when we see frametime numbers in AB, do they represent actual frametimes? I'm inferring from your reply that the answer is no, but I'd like to be certain.

4. Unwinder

Documentation supplied with application clearly telling you that frametime graph is showing maximum registered frametime value for each sampling period.

5. Unwinder

The answer is yes.

6. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    Thanks, that's what I needed to know.