1080 premium lineup - Not so premium?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 0blivious, Jun 17, 2016.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm getting a 1080 soon and I planned to go premium, but which one is getting murky.

As I wait for 1080 stock and read reviews and 1st hand accounts, it's starting to look like it doesn't matter much which flavor of 1080 you get. Tweaked, they all ultimately seem to perform about the same. It doesn't seem like partners are binning the better silicon for higher-priced models as some FEs do better at maintaining high speed without throttling. Looks like it mainly comes down to cooling ability, noise, aesthetics and whether you win the silicon lottery. (kind of like 8-12 years ago)

So is buying a premium priced FTW, STRIX, Gaming, AMP! Lightning (etc) model worth it if you desire that extra mhz (manual) OC? A tiny overclock applied for $50-$100 is one thing that will appeal to upgrade&forget users, but the fact that these cards don't seem to overclock any better than vanilla 1080s is making them a little less desirable otherwise.

Am I wrong or didn't they used to bin the better silicon for these "premium" models, and amazing silicon for Classys and such? It's not looking like the case here.

On a related note, this 10 series release seems a bit bungled. The 9 series, which I also jumped onto (970) immediately at release was far smoother with stock coming much quicker for all. The 10 series is rushed with no stock available for no apparent reason.

Let's go 4-minute window for an FE in stock!
    Will the Strix ever be in stock?
    Where's that FTW at?
    Baby needs a new pair of shoes...

Reload page...
    Reload page...
    Reload page...
    Reload page...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016