BT 17 Mb Unlimited usage/BT 38 MB 40GB usage?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by williamholden2, Oct 25, 2015.

1. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I am in a bit of a tight budget now, because of personal problems, and I was wondering whether BT 17 Mb Unlimited usage (I personally think I should go for this, because I can game all I like, and I won't get the annoying cap,) would be better than BT 38 Mb 40GB usage, I cannot get the 38 Mb Unlimited usage, like I said, because I am having problems with my budget.

Before I was wanting to go with Virgin but I have changed my mind, because of the throttling, and BT allows you to swap their router and use a different router.

I know 17 Mb is not optimal and is below minimum for gaming, but caps are the worst (imo more than low bandwidth) for gaming.

Any suggestions?

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    It is up to 17mb unless it is fibre broadband I used to get 10mb down .800kb up I left BT broadband last month It was fine for gaming.

I went Virgin and got 100mb download and 6mb Upload for the same price as BT

3. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I know it is only "up to", but is up to 17 Mb unlimited usage a better choice than 38 Mb 40GB usage? There is primarily two people in the house that consume alot of bandwidth, we only play games. Besides from that the only other service consuming bandwidth is checking emails, but that rarely happens and the family member always forgets to use Wifi, their always using the mobile data.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    There isn't a game out there that needs anywhere near 17mb/sec speed. Beyond 1.5mb/sec DSL speed, the latency (ping) is the most important thing.

5. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I had 3 using 10mb download and it was absolutely fine

1 gaming
    1 iPad surfing/gaming/YouTube
    1 working from home connected to work intranet

More is always better

6. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    So you're saying I'll be fine with a 17 Mbp/s connection?

I can kind of see your point there since the BT 17Mbp/s is fibre optic, which essentially will deliver much lower latency over standard DSL, and the fibre optics is the sweet spot for the connection.

7. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am on a 15 Mbp/s ADSL connection at the moment and me and my brother are fine with the amount of bandwidth, it never goes above 15 even when we are both gaming in a full 32 player server like Battlefield 4, we still get decent pings since we connect to European servers, 40 ms on average I'd say. The problem we have though is that as soon as we hit our 30GB usage cap, the latency and bandwidth starts freaking out, and sometimes we get dropped out of servers due to low bandwidth, because we hit our cap. At the moment we are with Sky, they have served us about 2 years now and we haven't had a problem apart from the cap.

8. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ this

Ping is most important thing for multiplayer gaming. Here at my house we use unlimited download ADSL 10Mbps upload / 1Mbps. At weekend days at least 3 gaming rigs are used for online gaming at the same time, mostly kids with their gaming rigs (CSGO, GTA V, Minecraft, BF4...), when their friends come sometimes even up to 5 rigs are on some kind of online multiplayer at the same time and not a single problem with online gaming. Ping in games varies between 5 and 30, extremely rarely above 40, all gaming rigs are conected to ADLS router by cable in local 100Mbps network and my ISP has some additional infrastucture dedicated for online gaming (free of charge for that service).. At that 10/1Mbps add 4 tablets and few smartphoes, few more HTPC's... and everything is workin perfect over the same internet connection. OK, you cant expect to watch Youtube 1080p on more than 2 rigs at the same time on 10/1Mbps but for 3 rigs gaming online + one or two @ Youtube 720/1080p everything is working without a single issue.

So my advice is to go 17Mbps unlimited.

Edit
    In my case internet connection with limited download is nothng more than impossible mission just because of few new games every month on kids gaming rigs and updates for those games and other games in their huge Steam and Origin games collection we easily shoot above 100GB, 150GB every single month.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If you buy a game on steam chances are thats your limit gone on 38mb so unlimited will be your best option.

10. williamholden2

williamholden2 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Thank you to all of you guys for the help!

My decision is 17 Mb Unlimited :).