MSI GTX 780 Lightning voltage woes..

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by elmonen, Dec 27, 2014.

1. elmonen

elmonen Member

GPU:
    Asus RX6600 Dual
    Hello there! not sure if this is the right place as Im not sure this is anything to do with afterburner (well Im using afterburner to oc ;) but Im gonna ask anyway.. this is my first nvidia card in like 5 years or so.. the problem is:

my current settings in ab are:
    Ive saved them in profile 1

Core voltage: +31mV
    Power limit: 109%
    core clock: +110mhz
    Mem clock: +202mhz

I have enable oc settins at startup checked.

I have been testing with these settings for a week or so now and using afterburner monitoring (osd) I find I have a boost clock of 1202mhz during gaming and voltage seems to fluctuate between 1.148 - 1.150 ( I dont have multimeter so Im going by the numbers ab gives me)

BUT!

Lets say I start my computer and start a game Im currently playing "FarCry 4" (I have ab starting with windows)

ingame ab monitoring osd shows my voltage fluctuating about 1.20 - 1.217, I then alt tab to windows and go to afterburner and click on profile 1 and "apply" NOW when going back to the game the voltage drops to that 1.148 - 1.150

If I close the game and start it again it shoots the voltage again to 1.20 - 1.217 zone, and I have to alt tab again and click load profile 1 again to lower the voltage..

Im having a hard time understandin that why it ramps the voltage too much..
    Something with gpu boost 2.0 or? can someone explain?

It seems it doesnt always do that.. dont know what triggers it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. hopeful

hopeful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE
    What happens if you leave power limit a 100%?

Also did you adjust AUX voltage? On some cards this is an option and if you look closely at the Afterburner Core Voltage area, there should be a down facing arrow. When clicked it shows the memory and AUX voltage.

3. elmonen

elmonen Member

GPU:
    Asus RX6600 Dual
    If i leave power limit at 100 it doesnt seem to affect to the cards "need for voltage" when starting games. at 1.217 and 1200mhz It seems to hit the 100% at some point and just starts downclocking and lowering voltage :/

I havent touched aux or mem voltages. There seems to be a bios (skynets bios) that removes gpu boost among other things but im not really fond of flashing other bioses.. And besides im not trying to achieve any "killer" oc.. Im quite happy with 1200mhz boost :)

Wondering if I should flip the card to "ln2 bios" but I doubt that would help :\