Risen 3 Titan Lords?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Switched to Antuiga (should I have gone there first perhaps?) and I am finding the combat less annoying. It is still sluggish and tedious to a large extent, particularly against groups of enemies, but ample use of dodge and better timing of attacks seems to be getting me through fights. The game definitely has a low-budget feel to it and the quests are somewhat generic but it is not all bad. It's a 6/10 game at best but an enjoyable enough way to spend a few hours and the £5 sale price make many of the flaws most bearable if not exactly forgivable.

2. Jamie T

Jamie T Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    yes ask for a refund, worst combat system EU

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i always thought this game is a nope .

4. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    After playing an hour I have to say my first impressions are.....

surprisingly positive.

Yes the combat with some tweaks could have been very good indeed but as it is it is merely just competent. At times it can be awkward but I don't feel as though I'm truly fighting against it at any time so far. What is surprising to me however is the overall production value of the game especially graphics wise. If indeed the graphical updates on display are due to the PS4 version then I am actually very thankful for it because the game I must say at times maxed out looks drop dead gorgeous. Character models could do with some extra work but the overall environments are quite stunning in places and of a very high standard compared to any Risen game I've played before and I've played them all.

Risen 3 for me remains the worst technical nightmare I ever had so to have this game run and work almost flawlesly from the get go is also very surprising.

I only paid five pounds for this but I must confess I do fear it is winning me over fairly quickly, I won't parrot on about it. :D

Also noticed they threw in three lots of additional DLC with the version I bought. Not bad.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    It just clicked why I am enjoying this so much - it reminds me of when I played Two Worlds II. I LOVED TW2.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I have actually really enjoyed playing this game today (about 5 hours or so). It's no classic and has plenty of flaws but something just clicked with me when I switched islands and I started to get into it more. Yes, even the combat, which is infuriating at times but as long as you dodge and time your attacks then most enemies are defeatable, even groups. And if there's too many then you can just dodge completely away and come back (I guess this is technically cheating but, hey, so what! :D ).

I find the swearing a bit forced and unnecessary though but some of the dialogue is funny, though perhaps not meant to be. For example, I have this NPC following me who is utterly useless as he never fights and my character makes it blatantly clear he does not like him. In fact, one of the dialogue options is to literally tell him to f*** off and that is after I decided to try to kill him!!! Haha.

I think a fiver is a fair price for this game. I suspect you will easily get your money's worth out of it.

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it's an adventurous game and for fans of ArcaniA who enjoys that type of RPGs

the update added stronger DOF and better lighting , other than that not much i noticed

trying to get the debug console back to action

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Damn the combat in this is highly frustrating early on. Enemies are seemingly able to line up and carry out attacks from miles away and just taking on two enemies just now took me almost ten attempts before I finally killed them with the help of bone. Changing the difficulty from medium to easy made little to no difference either. Cheating f*cking AI.

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Well this is great. At some point it seems the DLC that many of us had with the game has since been pulled and due to this now my save game won't load because of missing downloadable content. In other words I now have to pay out more money for the three DLC's I already had installed just to be able to resume my game again. I refuse to pay out money for added content they made openly available to me in the first place, that's their mistake not mine.

Requested a refund.

10. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Refund denied.

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    So they sold a DLC as a bundle before, you bought it and now they removed the DLC you already bought? That's pretty fishy stuff....

I got still have Risen 2 to play, but I was thinking I'd get #3 sometime if #2 was at least as good as #1. I wouldn't ever buy #1 at anything close to full price again, but it was more then worth the $7.99 I paid for it a few years back. #2 I got in a Humble Bundle, so I guess you could say I have low expectations for the franchise, but they have lived up to them so far. lol

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    That's abhorrent.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's likely an interpolated baked time of day setting. To simulate the changing of the day/night cycle.

Also: I think the game is judged too harshly, it clearly didn't have the biggest budget. They worked with what they had, and the free graphics update is simply to pass on the basic extra work they did for the PS4 version. Should they have revisited the gameplay? I think so.
    But the game seems to have flown in under the radar, so I doubt they had much more money to work with probably. For 6$ You can't go wrong, you'll get a lot of time out of it. I think if you think otherwise there is something wrong. An unintended effect of the "i'll just wait for the sale" mentality I guess

Sounds like an unintended glitch. You seem pretty entitled though. Enough for a refund? I don't think so. I think they should come up with a solution to your problem however.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  14. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Had they issued some kind of formal warning that they had made a mistake and as such were going to remove the wrongly distributed DLC I'm sure myself and many others like me would have said well ok we thought it was a little odd getting the game and all DLC so as long as we can keep our progress and continue enjoying the base game all is good. That didn't happen.

What actually happened is that when they released the update for the game everybody who owned the enhanced version and those who didn't got the exact same update with the same content included. No warnings given just pure and simple remove the added content and instantly ruin the game for pretty much everyone with the standard edition. I should point out that on Steam there's mention that even some who did own the enhanced version have also had their paid for DLC pulled and game ruined.

I questioned the fact I got three pieces of DLC with my game and took it as a welcome gesture at the time as did others who then proceeded to play 15-20 hours of the game with said content included only to find they have to now begin the game completely from scratch losing significant amounts of progress thus paying for a mistake they were not even aware of as a mistake at the time.

Entitled you say? Hardly. Just somewhat annoyed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  15. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Did you wrote to them about DLC? Maybe they could fix that.

16. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Saw a post about this on the steam forum looks like they are working on a fix

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Can anyone explain why my screen has started shaking uncontrollably to the point I can't play the game? Please don't tell me that's an actual game feature. :3eyes:

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This game was a blast. Best game they have made since Gothic II. Also the best Risen game.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How can you say that? First Risen reminds of Gothic, second two had nothing do with it. I also didnt like them, combat is completely broken. I like jow Joe reminds me to stay away from it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oXXA3WRNX4

I really hope "Elex" will be something else, something different.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I think this game is quite the "nostalgia-blast" for many, since it looks and plays so similar to the old Gothic games, which a good and bad thing at the same time. For one you get the old school guys pleased, but at the same time you don't evolve much to attract new players. They probably have quite a small budget too, compared to older times though.

Risen 1 was the last game I played, I loved the Gothic series, but I simply "moved on" by now and I'm not sure I can get into the gameplay anymore. Who knows though, maybe I'll grab it when it's on sale. :)