Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#2726)
KeenJammin

Videocard: GTX 1080 Ti
Processor: i7 4770K
Mainboard:
Memory: 32GB DDR3 2400
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 07-01-2017, 21:02 | posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Certainly you closed MSI&RTSS before changing and saving, right?

If so, only unwinder can do something.
Yes I closed both before changing and saving. I am really hoping Unwinder can include >120fps recording in a future MSI Afterburner / RTSS.

Old
  (#2727)
klepp0906
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX Titan SC x4
Processor: Intel i7 4790k @ 4800
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87 OC-Force
Memory: 32gb Corsair Dom-Platinum
Soundcard: Realtek/Klipsch ProMedia
PSU: EVGA NEX1500 SuperNova x2
Default 07-02-2017, 02:40 | posts: 89 | Location: Detroit

This https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2530949&p=1 is happening to me with afterburner.

A quick google will show several posts with the same issue but no definitive solution.

I've been restarting my pc every time it happens but it's a major pain. No idea what's shared between the two softwares that could cause this but at seemingly random (I can now tell cause my games start running bad and eventually freeze) my temp limit gets ignored and temp goes up up up. A restart of the pc and it's back to normal.

Any takers? Cutoff at 80c and since I keep afterburners monitor open I often catch it before it passes 90 but it's worrisome and problematic.

Old
  (#2728)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-02-2017, 07:27 | posts: 13,047 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
No idea what's shared between the two softwares that could cause this
If you think a bit, you can clearly conclude that it is not related to software.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#2729)
djmorgan
Member Guru

Videocard: 1 X MSI GTX 1080ti X
Processor: Intel i7 950 @ 3.80 Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM X58
Memory: 12Gb DDR 3 Corsair 1600Mh
Soundcard: Realtech
PSU: Corsair HX1000Watt
Default 07-02-2017, 11:22 | posts: 101 | Location: Gold Coast Australia

I do like the ability to have the OSD in different profiles, I have it set from 1 to 5 zero OSD to max data, so far works great in games with hotkeys

Old
  (#2730)
klepp0906
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX Titan SC x4
Processor: Intel i7 4790k @ 4800
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87 OC-Force
Memory: 32gb Corsair Dom-Platinum
Soundcard: Realtek/Klipsch ProMedia
PSU: EVGA NEX1500 SuperNova x2
Default 07-02-2017, 14:31 | posts: 89 | Location: Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
If you think a bit, you can clearly conclude that it is not related to software.
I guess i must not be thinking then. Goes without saying everyone appreciates your work on a vast scale but no need to be snide. A lot of people have found a resolution by changing from one to the other or vice versa.

the more helpful response would have been "its not related to software, its related to xxx" and offering up a solution if one is even possible.

I mean if its hardware related it would affect everyone with the same cards or running the same os as mine and EVGA 1080 FE i reckon is quite popular. As is windows 10 CE (for better or worse lol)

That being said, coincidental, optimism, whatever you'd like to call it - its early and preliminary but by upgrading from beta 10 to beta 12 seems to have solved the issue.

To be fair, it often cropped up after the monitors woke from sleep and theyve started not going to sleep based on god knows what so we shall see.

Old
  (#2731)
djmorgan
Member Guru

Default 07-06-2017, 01:20 | posts: 101 | Location: Gold Coast Australia

Bug or not!
Latest beta AB

The monitoring item CPU Clock does not read data like AIDA or other monitoring software, just seems to max our as per this image

If on the other hand, I select a single core then monitoring is as expected

Reloaded AB and RTSS no improvement.

Last edited by djmorgan; 07-06-2017 at 05:43.

Old
  (#2732)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-06-2017, 06:42 | posts: 13,047 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

It was clearly documented in development thread what is shown on CPU clock and temperature graphs. It is NOT enough to see just a single core value to predict expected result because it shows the maximum across all cores. Also I repeated a few times what kind of functionality is CPU monitoring in AB and that any demands to change it or add support for a different hw will be ignored, and explained why. Please start reading.

Old
  (#2733)
djmorgan
Member Guru

Default 07-06-2017, 06:56 | posts: 101 | Location: Gold Coast Australia

Quote:
It was clearly documented in development thread what is shown on CPU clock and temperature graphs. It is NOT enough to see just a single core value to predict expected result because it shows the maximum across all cores. Also I repeated a few times what kind of functionality is CPU monitoring in AB and that any demands to change it or add support for a different hw will be ignored, and explained why. Please start reading.
Okay sorry!

Is there a single place for documentation or just forum pages?

Release notes are disjointed at best.

Beta forum is locked and not available.

Old
  (#2734)
DonMigs85

Videocard: Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: CM 700W
Default 07-08-2017, 01:30 | posts: 7 | Location: Manila

GPU and memory controller usage still stuck at 16 and 100% for me at all times

Old
  (#2735)
pangeltveit

Videocard: EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid
Processor: Intel i7 3770k @4,6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: 2x8GB Kingston 2400 CL11
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX
PSU: CM Silent Gold pro 1000w
Default 07-11-2017, 14:48 | posts: 35 | Location: Norway

Hiya,

Running 4.4.0 Beta 12, my Overclock is not applied automatically, even if I set it to apply on startup.
The interface shows that its applied, but monitoring shows that its not applied, if I click on the active profile (save 1) and click apply, the Overclock will activate.

Old
  (#2736)
specialkone

Videocard: EVGA FTW 1080
Processor: I7 6700K
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1 10
Default 07-11-2017, 21:01 | posts: 1

This is one terrific website. I always read the great hardware and gaming reviews. Thought I would join the forum to specifically give Unwinder and Guru3D a huge thanks for the work on MSI AB and Rivatuner.

I have been so frustrated with EVGA's XOC OSD. Time Spy crashes with it enabled (typically Asus Z170 MB), I lose the custom fan curve after setting back to aggressive, with the latest XOC versions I can't even move the OSD and can't change the font. It doesn't show CPU load, doesn't work in Vulcan, Uplay nor UWP games.

I kept my ACX (not ICX) cooling so AB controls all fans. Switched to AB and RTSS for good. It and the OSD are incredible. Thank you so much. I can't post a youtube link yet to show AB and the OSD working flawlessly in Doom Vulcan, but it does.

I will never buy a GPU that AB and RTSS doesn't fully support.

Old
  (#2737)
realmister

Videocard: RX 480 GTR Black
Processor: i5-4690K@4.7GHz@1.275V
Mainboard: GA-Z97-D3H
Memory: 16GB Patriot Viper3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair AX760 Platinum
Default 07-13-2017, 00:03 | posts: 2 | Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
Hiya,

Running 4.4.0 Beta 12, my Overclock is not applied automatically, even if I set it to apply on startup.
The interface shows that its applied, but monitoring shows that its not applied, if I click on the active profile (save 1) and click apply, the Overclock will activate.
Logged in just to say that I have the same problem. The radio button is selected, but I can't unselect it.

Old
  (#2738)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-13-2017, 07:25 | posts: 13,047 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmister View Post
Logged in just to say that I have the same problem. The radio button is selected, but I can't unselect it.
Peek into the release notes and use search, it was discussed _many_ times. Startup profile is now also protected by "Lock profiles" button, you cannot change startup profile when profiles modification is locked.

Fan speed not updating
Old
  (#2739)
Darr

Videocard: MSI RX480 8gb Armor OC
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Mainboard: Biostar A780L3G
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Xion 1000 watt
Smile Fan speed not updating - 07-13-2017, 18:44 | posts: 13

When AB is not the active window, the fan speed doesn't update. It does update in the graph or in OSD.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArIvftV8roEagXLixcxVSrTDzPgb

Also, great program, keep up the good work!

Old
  (#2740)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-14-2017, 08:09 | posts: 13,047 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Please peek into documentation, it is by design and it was introduced in v1.4.0 about 8 years ago. It is clearly reflected in the release notes.

Bug in MSI Afterburner with mixed cards
Old
  (#2741)
samjankus

Videocard: Sapph R9 Nitro/MSI RX480
Processor: Intel Celeron G3930
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA 850W
Talking Bug in MSI Afterburner with mixed cards - 07-14-2017, 10:11 | posts: 1

Well sheeit... I just realized the comments in MSI Afterburner are explicit about support when using unofficial overclocking. Oh well, I'm going to post anyway, maybe someone can help.

I upgraded my PC and turned it into a pet mining machine with 2 AMD cards. Here's the specs

PSU: EVGA 850W
MOBO: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
CPU: Intel Celeron G3930
RAM: Crucial 8GB Ram

Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro Tri-X 4GB OC
MSI Radeon RX 480 Armor OC 4GB

Anyway, I can't overclock in normal mode. I raise the threshold and apply and the actual frequencies don't change, so I try unofficial overclocking mode. It boots, but the gui shows that Afterburner has now applied and enforces the max limits from the R9 onto the RX480. The core and mem clock freqs are much lower on the R9.

So the RX480 is stuck at much lower thresholds. That's a bug in Afterburner right? Oh well... I guess I'm screwed. I supposed I could try swapping the card positions on the mobo or adding a second dummy hdmi plug or something.

Anyone have any idea from the software side?

Any help would be greatly appreciated if not monetarily rewarding.

Old
  (#2742)
Darr

Videocard: MSI RX480 8gb Armor OC
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Mainboard: Biostar A780L3G
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Xion 1000 watt
Default 07-14-2017, 20:15 | posts: 13

Quote:
Please peek into documentation, it is by design and it was introduced in v1.4.0 about 8 years ago. It is clearly reflected in the release notes.
Ah-ha I see it now on page 23 of 24 pages. Sorry, I've only been using AB since this spring when I upgraded my HD5850 with a locked core to the MSI Armor that was overclockable. I've got lots of reading to catch up on. Keep up the good work.

Old
  (#2743)
putzz

Videocard: GTX 1080Ti
Processor: i7 4790K
Mainboard: MSI Z97M-GAMING
Memory: Corsair VengeancePro 32GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair CSM550
Default 07-15-2017, 16:08 | posts: 2

is there a plan to add HEVC/H.265 encoder for video capture?
for both AMD and Nvidia recent cards support them now, no?

Old
  (#2744)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-15-2017, 16:37 | posts: 13,047 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

No plans, there are more important tasks in the list, sorry.

Old
  (#2745)
putzz

Videocard: GTX 1080Ti
Processor: i7 4790K
Mainboard: MSI Z97M-GAMING
Memory: Corsair VengeancePro 32GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair CSM550
Default 07-16-2017, 00:28 | posts: 2

Quote:
No plans, there are more important tasks in the list, sorry.
okay, thank you for the answer unwinder

Last edited by putzz; 07-16-2017 at 00:29. Reason: typo

Old
  (#2746)
pangeltveit

Videocard: EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid
Processor: Intel i7 3770k @4,6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: 2x8GB Kingston 2400 CL11
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX
PSU: CM Silent Gold pro 1000w
Default 07-17-2017, 11:37 | posts: 35 | Location: Norway

Quote:
Peek into the release notes and use search, it was discussed _many_ times. Startup profile is now also protected by "Lock profiles" button, you cannot change startup profile when profiles modification is locked.
Can you please explaing a bit more?

All I can see in the Release notes is either when using an AMD card, or about the lock button.

I got a Nvidia 1080ti, and my OC does not apply at startup, even tried delaying MSI AB from starting by 20 seconds.

On Startup:

After Clicking Save 1 (only Save) and hitting apply:

Edit:

Delaying the startup by 35 seconds seems to have fixed it, i'm Guessing that CAM Software interfered with it, cant find a way to remove the OC tab in that program either.

Last edited by pangeltveit; 07-17-2017 at 11:48.

Old
  (#2747)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 07-17-2017, 11:48 | posts: 13,047 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Use search, sorry.

Old
  (#2748)
chumanga1
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX770
Processor: i7 4770k@4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Z87 Plus
Memory: 2x8gb TridentX 2400
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA 750 b2
Default 07-19-2017, 15:27 | posts: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumanga1 View Post
I gonna report a old issue which dont appear to be fixed in video recording. When recording with NVENC/Quicksync sometimes AB causes wrong chroma glitches on some specific regions. Tiny colored lines are where its noticeable to happen. Normally the correct color is changed to "grey" color. This color glitch is noticeable too in OSD graph. This problem dont occur with x264vfw YUV420.

Take a look in grey color issue with BF4 red lines graph, NVENC is worse than Quicksync.

AB NVENC graph lines glitch: http://i.imgur.com/A0kpQj1.png

AB Quicksync graph lines glitch: http://i.imgur.com/LoxkkXv.png

AB x264vfw standard no color glitch: http://i.imgur.com/q0mJYWe.png

So i found same issue with FFMpeg encoding NVENC and not using NV12 conversion. NVENC dont support YV12 properly and cause this chroma glitches. It need to be converted to NV12 to reproduce chroma correctly. Maybe this is the case with AB NVENC/QS chroma glitches?

Old
  (#2749)
DeadMan3000
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Non-OC
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Mainboard: MSI GD65 Gaming Z87
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: Inbuilt Realtek
PSU: 1000w
Default 07-19-2017, 20:39 | posts: 52

I have an issue when using keyboard shortcuts. I have assigned a number of profiles to keyboard shortcuts. What I want to do is assign each profile keyboard shortcut combo to my G.Skill keyboard macros. The problem is is that I cannot get AB to react to the assigned keyboard macros. They are recorded correctly but AB ignores them. In fact, AB is slow actually responding to keyboard shortcuts. For instance if I hit ctrl-shift-f quickly to enable a profile AB ignores it. If I hold down ctrl-shift for a moment and THEN while holding those keys hit 'f' AB then applies the profile.

Is there a way to trigger a profile from a command line using the AB exe? I think doing so would be better as Windows could throw it to a keyboard shortcut that runs a batch file instead.

Basically I am unable to assign a keyboard shortcut to a profile via a macro because AB is too slow to pickup on a keyboard shortcut having been applied.

I initially thought it was to do with Windows ApplicationFramehost bug (causes slow reaction of Windows keyboard shortcuts) but I killed that process with similar results.

Any idea how to get this to work correctly?

Old
  (#2750)
Putzo

Videocard: GTX 660Ti
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 EVO
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX620
Default 07-20-2017, 17:42 | posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumanga1 View Post
So i found same issue with FFMpeg encoding NVENC and not using NV12 conversion. NVENC dont support YV12 properly and cause this chroma glitches. It need to be converted to NV12 to reproduce chroma correctly. Maybe this is the case with AB NVENC/QS chroma glitches?
Open the file named "SaveMedia.cfg" in the same foler where RTSS.exe is located and in the section named [NV12] change the value of Quality from 0 to 1.

This seems to output proper NV12 instead of yuv420p. But in my limited testing with this setting enabled, I can't capture OpenGL games, only DX9 and DX11 ones. Just Cause 2 which is DX10, doesn't record video either.