Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Voltage control
Old
  (#1)
Terepin
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
Processor: Core i7-6700K
Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX H270F
Memory: Corsair DDR4 2x8 GB @2133
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX S1220A
PSU: Seasonic SS-860XP
Default Voltage control - 05-23-2017, 10:18 | posts: 600 | Location: Košice, Slovakia

I have ASUS card. Does it make a difference which voltage control option I use? And what is the difference between them?

Old
  (#2)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 Fury OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 05-23-2017, 17:46 | posts: 13,131 | Location: Sweden

There's a little tooltip explanation for the three different voltage settings (Well the MSI one has two varieties so four in total.) but unless I'm completely off it's down to the voltage regulator (Controller?) on the GPU.

Well it's probably simplifying things somewhat and I'm messing up the actual name most likely but the components for voltage on the PCB, the third party non-reference designs can have a couple of different versions of these.

For Afterburner and it's settings reference being the standard, then there's two for MSI models with the second allowing for possibly higher limits and then there's one for third party designs using the MSIAfterburner.oem2 file which is user configurable if you know how to edit this info.

I recommend starting with reference and seeing if that's enough to allow the slider to be dragged around or for monitoring to function.
(Also the tooltips can be very helpful for getting a good overview of the different settings.)

EDIT: Fe so founders edition meaning reference model right? Pretty sure the standard reference setting in Afterburner will be just fine as it's not using a custom PCB and different components.

It is a 1080Ti though so using Afterburner 4.4.0 is recommended for support for said GPU.

Which you can find the current latest version of here, it is still in beta however.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....39#post5431939

(Almost missing the Ti, Fe on the second line of the GPU specs good thing I re-read that.)

Last edited by JonasBeckman; 05-23-2017 at 18:00.