HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    P(l)AIN and simple :D

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I would like to point out now, that Capcom has updated the game and reverted back to the old executable name. "re5dx9.exe"

3. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    After struggling to get my RE5 save game imported through GFWL I finally got it to work. Can't wait to try out these new flags.

4. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Thanks.

EDIT: I've decided to try again after patch to see if anything changed, and to my surprise some flags that didn't work before are working now. 1A is giving similar effect to 14 but without bleeding, so my new recommendation for RE5. Updated original post with info and screenshots.

Last edited: May 15, 2015

5. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Can't wait to try this out tonight. The bleeding was bumming me out.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Fantastic no bleeding.

Just so you know I haven't forgotten or anything.

It's just in my list of stuff to the spreadsheet but am too lazy to do right now.

I've got about 10 tabs open for stuff that needs to be added to this thread and the AA thread haha...

I wonder if somehow just reverting the .exe is what made 1A work or what with whatever other changes they made?

I did tell Wbacon that they broke driver AO but..

1A is even the Street Fighter 4 flag strangely enough!:3eyes: (But doesn't work for the newest version of SFIV right?)

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  7. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Steamworks version pre-patch had an issue when lighting effects didn't match the source, they fixed it so I figured out that issue could been related to depth buffer not working correctly, guess I was right. (03 is still not working BTW)

As for USF4 I don't own it, so I can't test. Was going to buy it thought, since it's on sale right now, but went with REmake instead.:)

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  8. emusa

emusa Guest

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    I got some weird texture flashing/detail pop-in when using the HBAO+ setting recommended, as stated here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4896198&postcount=764

When enabling the ingame SSAO (and disabling the HBAO+ of course) the issue doesn't appear.

Is it possible that newer drivers have caused this setting to not work anymore..? Can anyone confirm this?

I use the 350.12 drivers (win7 x64).

9. demon_firefox

demon_firefox Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 (1180, 3300)
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Thanks for doing that. Those Star Wars Battlefront II comparison shots show a dramatic difference. It looks so flat without AO.

Also, has anyone found a flag for the Early Access version of Black Mesa? I did a search for Black mesa in this thread but it said there were no results.

Last edited: May 19, 2015

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Why don't you maybe try older drivers and see if that indeed makes a difference?

Also to be sure you are using a 16:9 monitor/resolution?

12. emusa

emusa Guest

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am using a 16:9 HDTV / monitor @1080p. I don't really want to use older drivers, because of optimizations in other games.. maybe I should just use SSAO and play on.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well that'd be the only way to know for sure if it is a driver regression.

Perhaps fiddle around with the game settings to see if anything changes or try other flags for it instead.

14. demon_firefox

demon_firefox Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 (1180, 3300)
    Sort of. Since it is still using the source engine, you might want to try some of the official flags. I don't own the game, but the occlusion effect might be comparable to other games like Portal:
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10602274&postcount=130

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  15. Kleio420

Kleio420 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 SLI
    any flags that have been found to work on unity engine games ?

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sure, "0x00000019" works in Verdun (DX9).
    Albeit with a little occasional flickering.

"0x00000031" and "0x00000017" works in other Unity games (e.g. Heavy Bullets and Surgeon Simulator).
    But in general you will have to test each game on its own, HBAO+ is not very engine dependent.

17. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Thanks for that!

18. Kleio420

Kleio420 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 SLI
    that sucks figured id get lucky with how sgssaa works on most unity games with the same flag. well thats a start to see if i can get anywhere thanks.Dont you find it strange if a flag actually works you would see any kind of flickering considering the source code for hbao+ shows a working way to enable full res texture sampling seems like these flags are more or less depth dependent and ik for a fact there are a few devs floating around who have a generic way to auto detect the depth idk why nvidia hasn't put this into a driver yet more likely they just dont care and hbao+ was used for a gimmik to sell cards

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    HBAO+ is not just a gimmick IMO, it just requires more work and testing to find custom flags for your particular games.
    Even SGSSAA can vary significantly on the same engine (at least in certain cases).

20. Kleio420

Kleio420 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 SLI
    the thing is hbao+ was used to market the 600 series cards i could go into detail how its not really any different then dice's version of hbao but im legally not allowed to post source code to explain my point. What i was saying in the last post is hbao+ should work without fail on any engine as long as the depth is grabable and when a generic hooking api like reshade can grab that info i can assume a billion dollar company can make a driver level detection tool for hbao+ since they have no plans its being used a gimmick to sell games/hardware as the source as it stands runs like crap on amd cards. (url i dont have 5 posts) [graphics.cs.williams.edu/papers/AlchemyHPG11/] this + hbao = hbao+ btw again designed to run on nvidia hardware

id rather see dev versions of ssgi instead of using licensed software

again thanks for your help (flags through driver are instructions for depth calculations reason it works like crap is unity uses a upside down buffer.

so something like "float depth= tex2D(tst_depthColor, texcoord.xy).x;" wont work on unity there is a workaround in the hbao+ source