Guide to RAM

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgi55

georgi55 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB
    Good thread, thansk

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    :thumbup:

3. Newbe2.0

Newbe2.0 Guest

One question... or two.

what is Better? 2Gb 512*4 PC3200 (2-2-2) or 4Gb 1Gb*4 PC3200
    (3-8-4-4)?
    Whith an Athlon 64 FX model 51 processor, what is better, 400 Mhz or higer?

thanks for all!

4. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What type of thing are you using this PC for to warrant 4GB? :eek3: Hehe.
    If you're gaming then the 2GB with lower latencies, if you're encoding/photoshop etc then probably the 4GB.

With an FX51, 400MHz will suffice if you don't intend to overclock, however I don't know any S940 boards which OC good so you'd probably get away with simple PC3200.

5. Newbe2.0

Newbe2.0 Guest

Jeje, I use the pc for make 3D images (whith programs how 3d Studio max) but for gaming too XD (i love games!). I'll buy a 939 socket (GA-K8 NXP SLI).
    Thanks for all!

6. aldo123

aldo123 Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 295
    hi, been reading this post carefully(i hope), and i was wondering if anybody can help- i've saved up some cash from Cristmas, and iwas wanting to purchase some Corsair XMXPro Memory -My mobo is the MSI K8n Neo2 Platinumum, which says that supports upto pc 3200 memory in DDR mode- currently i am using 1Gb of Kingston Value Ram with timings under CPU-Z of 3-3-3-8, the Ram im hoping to get is pc4000 with timings of 2-2-2-5(allegedly)- as a keen gamer, this brand and type are mentioned by gamers cosistently- but can i run this on my present mobo?

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hey

The info was buried in the thread, so I updated the first post with what you need.

As for 2-2-2-x @250MHz? Suppose if BH5 was given enough vdimm...
    At 200MHz yeah (BH5/BH6/TCCD) but 250 will usually require at least 2.5-3-3-x timings.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  8. rickbanr

rickbanr Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 6800 Ultra
    Just join the forum.

AN EXCELENT ARTICLE AND THREAD !!!

I think i know where iam going to start spending my time.

Tanks to all.

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Thanks for the compliment. :)

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    OCZ VX PC3200 @ 3,4v or so will do 2-2-2-x @ 250 no problem in that board. Couple it up with a ddr booster ;)

11. Ekajaya"VaLvE"

Ekajaya"VaLvE" Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770

i want to ask ,sorry bout little bit off topic,i just played doom 3 for the first time,i played it smooth but sometime its little bit lagged like thinking for the next frame ,but no stuck,is this because my memory just 512 mb? thanks for the help

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    TBH I'm not really sure how that game responds to different amounts of system RAM 'cause I thought it was poor and got bored of it, so didn't play around with it or read threads/articles about it.

Have a look @ the games section, and post this question there if necessary.

13. DustOut

DustOut Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT OC
    Well, I came in here with RAM questions and you guys answered all of them. Great article and thanks!

14. Crovean

Crovean Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800 GS OC 256MB
    I was wondering if anyone here had a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe mobo using Kingston value ram PC3200 CL3, and what timing you where using.

My current settings are 2.5, 3, 3, 8

15. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    Yo, I don't really understand this as well as I do other things [I'm 15].

I was wondering if this was 'good' for DDR2 533 RAM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's not, how do you change timings if you have a BIOS without the option to do that? I have a Dell [not really tweakage material] and there are no RAM options in the BIOS. Is flashing the only way to get to those options? [If so, no thanks]

Also, I don't really understand the FSB clock/RAM clock correlation. Anyone want to try and explain it again?

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Those are pretty standard DDR2 latencies, and 4-4-4-x is correct for Samsung PC4200.
    The problem with DDR2 right now is indeed these relaxed latencies. The extra bandwidth offered by DDR2 is being handicapped by the slow latencies in comparison to DDR1. Though, the top brands are bringing out faster modules all the time.
    Since you have a Dell, I don't imagine you can change your latencies, as most pre-built systems like that are very sparse with regards to tweaking options.
    As for the ratio... pfft, I don't know for sure. I don't use Intel and so have no desire to know how they work.

Why does everyone use being 15 years old as an excuse? :p

17. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
  18. Noway05

Noway05 Member

GPU:
    Zotac gtx 1080 founders
    Hi everyone, i'm trying to lower my latency the best cas i could get was 2.5 so i lowered them to 2.5 2 2 6 but i am not certain if this are improving my performance. so can anyone tell me if these latencys are good and what vol is the best for my dimms??? oh and the dimms are ddr400 2x512 dc brand xxx =P and a delta2 (nforce2 400 ultra).

19. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    The tighter latencies will be improving performance as long as you're stable, but it will not be noticable to you at all, except perhaps in memory related benchmarks.
    If you have the ability to run tighter timings then you should, but I'd advise checking with memtest86+ when you're trying new latencies, to avoid the risk of data corruption and to check if the new timings are stable.

20. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Article has been revamped!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.