Not seeing FPS or framerate data for afterburner with GTX 1080

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by tolland, Jun 22, 2016.

1. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hi,
    I've downloaded the 4.3.0 beta 4 version of MSI afterburner. However I am not seeing any values for FPS or framerate in the afterburder hardware monitor chart screen.

I've tried a reboot, and with the option for low-level hardware access interface set to "user mode" and "kernel mode". Any suggestions on what I might be missing?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    What programs are you trying to use it with? Do you have the OSD turned on in RTSS? Did you configure RTSS compatibility? Did you add each program to the application profile list and configure the individual settings?

3. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    Do you have the correct GPU selected?

[​IMG]

4. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yep, There is only one available, and that is selected. I'll post a screenshot when I get to the necessary post level..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

5. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I am trying to use it with Rust on steam. Both rust and steam provide the FPS as an overlay (either from the tools In-game option in steam, or using the "perf" option in the Rust console, so the data seems to be available...)

6. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Hmm. I can't post images yet...

7. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yes, but there seems to be some concern that using the OSD might trigger the anti-cheat measures if it modifies the output of the game...

8. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I am trying to use it with Rust on steam. I want to log the FPS to a file so I can see what hardware/performance bottle is causing FPS drops...

However I get nothing for FPS whether Rust is running or not...
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I've tried it as a global setting and also specifically for RustClient.exe but no joy...

[​IMG]

I've added the Application profile for RustClient.exe with the following settings;

[​IMG]

9. Did you bold check the framerate and frametime options in the monitoring tab list? By default MSI Afterburner does not have the framerate and frametime options selected (bold checked), which is shown in the picture in spoiler (note: I'm still using 4.2.0).
    [​IMG]

Sidenote: Also, I was not able to view your images, says I need to login to dropbox to view it. I recommend for forum pictures using postimage.org or imgur, they are free to use and give you many options to post images.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Try turning on Stealth mode in RTSS

11. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Ok, A little more research.

Firstly, it looks like RTSS only picks up the RustClient.exe if you start it from the tray icon (and not from steam). If I do that, I get an overlay and/or tray statistics for FPS. This seems to work without stealth mode, and also in medium for "Application Detection Level" (what is that? low/medium/high?? I don't see any reference in the docs, maybe I am missing an important doc to read..)

Unfortunately, when it is running, I get booted from the server with "EAC Disconnected", so it looks like the Easy Anti Cheat software thinks RTSS is cheatware;
    [​IMG]

I've posted to the EAC support forum on steam, so hopefully they can update the signatures to allow RTSS and afterburner to do their thing... (EAC doesn't seem to mind FRAPS...) and also has Afterburner listed on its supported software faq;
    http://faq.easyanticheat.net/content/10/13/en/list-of-eac-compatible-recording-software.html

12. tolland

tolland Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah, those are selected... (Edit: that seems to be working now, I see FPS during the startup period. The problem now is with EAC blocking RTSS during connecting to a game server with EAC protection)

Ah,thanks. I've posted them on imgur. Cheers for pointing that out.

13. Your welcome :), hopefully getting MSI Afterburner whitelisted on EAC signatures will fix the issue since Afterburner needs RTSS to hook into the application to provide performance statistics. You will not need the "Custom D3D" option ON unless you are using Reshade or equivalent that include custom direct3d dlls.

To Answer your queston regarding app detection levels higher than low, you can hover your mouse over the that section and a popup message will show detailed text. In summary, I think higher levels of app detection mean that RTSS will look into more DirectX system calls, such as DirectDraw, to try to detect the app to hook into.

Also, if you prefer a different font than the default one, select the Raster3D button instead, then click the Raster3D button again in order to select a different font installed on your rig to display your performance statistics.

Finally, here is another Windows tip, if you want to take a screenshot of just the current window selected, you can hold down the Alt key then press the printscreen button (prntscrn) (Alt + prntscrn), then open your favorite photo editor (or paint), paste into window, finally crop to selection.