Flashed Wrong vBIOS (Gigabyte 7970 OC)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Blackfyre, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hi guys,

It's no big deal, I flashed the following vBIOS:

http://icrontic.com/article/leaked-bios-easily-turns-radeon-hd-7970-into-ghz-edition

Upon restarting, I logged in and realised the drivers for my GPU have 'uninstalled themselves'. I installed the latest drivers from AMD (same ones I was using15.3 Beta). But upon restarting I was welcomed with a BSOD instead of the login screen. After the third Restart + BSOD, the OS (Windows 8.1 64Bit) allowed me to choose advanced start up options, at which point I booted into Safe Mode and used DDU to uninstall the drivers.

Logged into Windows fine, in MSI AfterBurner it showed me a new GPU name which I've now forgotten (7970, but it wasn't Gigabyte, and it wasn't Ghz Edition, it was Lightning Fast or Lightning something). Anyway that's not important, it was clearly the wrong BIOS. But I felt like I should attempt to install the drivers again after a fresh DDU Clean-up. After restarting I was faced with the same BSOD's, used DDU again. Flipped the BIOS switch on the GPU and booted fine (Thank God for that)... So basically I'm assuming my GPU didn't like the new clock speeds it received (it was too much), that's the only conclusive answer I produced.

Anyhow, I want to flash back the F72 BIOS for my Card on the messed up bios... I remember a year or so ago there was a method by which one would switch the bios to the messed up one while Windows was running, then proceed to flash the normal bios back using WinFlash or something (I don't recall).

So yes, I've completely forgotten the method. Anyone know if it's safe to switch the flip while the PC is running? I have no other choice really. I have to flash back a working bios over the wrong one from above.

2. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Yes, you can flip and flash while running. :)

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Exactly. You can safely switch bios while running system then just flash working over it and it will save it. I've done it countless times.

4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    For anyone who has done it countless times, where would I find the easiest instructions? I knew I've read it somewhere. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  6. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I figured you knew, based on the fact that you've already done some bios flashing, I didn't want to insult you so I didn't elaborate. Sorry about that.

I believe the information you're looking for is the flashing commands?
    atiwinflash -p -f 0 xxx.rom

If you need anything else both Google and guru3d are your friends.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is actually:
    atiwinflash -f -p 0 <bios.bin>

where <bios.bin> is just name of your bios file.

8. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    You might be surprised to find that it makes no difference if you put the force command before the p. In some cases the -f isn't even required.
    Also, since gpuz and the vga bioscollection all have the files stored as roms, it is perfectly acceptable to suggest the use of .rom rather than bin.

I'm all ears if you actually have something to share but since your presentation of the cmds is essentially the equivalent of what was already stated I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. We all want the best information for the OP though, so like I said, all ears.

[​IMG]
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

Something to note though is that I always use an elevated cmd prompt. I'm not sure if it's required though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then please, read your own post again.

Side note:
    -f is thing which is needed if you can't flash via GUI due to subsystem mismatch.
    So, if command line is used it is either because one likes to use it or one is forced to use it, since GUI does not allow flash.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

That article above is the best tutorial I found, very simple, except I have one question.

My HD7970 is plugged into PCI-Express #3 I believe, because PCI-Express #1 is blocked by the Noctua NH-D15, PCI-Express #2 Slot is 8X, not 16X, and PCI-Express #3 Slot corresponds to PCI-Express Slot #1 (It's also 16X); which is why I plugged my HD7970 in the PCI-Express Slot 3 Spot.

Question: Is there a way through Windows I can find the current PCI-Express Slot my GPU is plugged into? I know it's #3, I want to be sure before I flash to Slot Number 3.

I want to FLASH the original BIOS for my videocard:

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4102#bios

Mine is the F72 (That's the BIOS I'm currently using and the one I was using before flashing the BIOS file in the OP). But the BIOS from the Gigabyte page is not .rom I think, or is it? If it is, can I flash the F3 BIOS? It seems newer than the F72 BIOS, but on the page above at the end it says I MUST ONLY flash the correct bios.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If size of flashable file is exactly 128kB, then it is BIOS file, you can flash with ATIWinflash.
    You list your adapters with "-i" parameter or "more details with "-ai".