Bricked my card bios

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by marcoloves360, Mar 3, 2015.

1. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    hi everyone i was playing with some bios and i bricked my card msi 7950, now i changed the bios switch and its working. how i flash the other switch now? i need another gpu? thx

2. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    -boot with the working bios
    -after that, change the biosswitch while your system is running
    -flash a working bios (your backup)

3. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Yes, you can change the BIOS switch at any time, the BIOS that is read/written is the one selected by the switch at that time. And even if both BIOSes are corrupt, as long as you have another PCIe 16x slot for a second GPU you can still use it or an IGP to flash the proper BIOS to the 7950.

I had a 7970 and AFAIK the 7950/7970 had a single BIOS flashed to both positions so you can flip the switch to the working BIOS, use an USB stick that boots to MS DOS with atiflash.exe to dump the working BIOS, flip the switch to the other position, flash this BIOS back over the corrupt one.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Indeed. Switch bios while system is on. Then just flash the card with the bios you want and it will save it. I did that couple of times before...

5. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
    really?? oh many thanks everyone. i was thinking it would give me a blue screen :banana: bios switch is really a life saver.

6. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    I forgot to add that even though a stock 7970/7950 had the same BIOS in both switch settings, some cards have a UEFI GOP BIOS on one of the positions and the stock one on the other. You should check that before flashing stuff.