Anyone using Intel 750 with SLI on z97 setup?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by pistol44, Jun 11, 2015.

1. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Hey guys,

I've been heavily considering upgrading my boot drive the Samsung 840 EVO 512GB to the Intel 750 400GB.

However, I've read that with z97 boards you can lose the ability to run SLI set ups. I'm not certain if it's due to space requirements for adding a 2nd card, PCI-e bandwidth requirements or both. And with Oculus VR coming soon I was actually planning to toss in a 2nd GTX 980 this summer. My motherboard currently is the ASUS Maximus Hero VII.

Any suggestions or feedback from someone that's running a similar set up? Should I forget the Intel 750 altogether if SLI is more important? Should I consider an Samsung 850 PRO SSD instead? Can I even add a 2nd GTX 980 and the 750 and be ok? I also see some talk about use of a Hyperkit. However, I'm not sure if this is beneficial in any way.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. IcarusLSC

IcarusLSC Active Member

GPU:
    I'm running 4 Intel 530's in Raid 0 on my Z97 board and use SLI. On my board there is a slot between video cards which is nice to help cooling.

3. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I don't think you'll have enough PCIE lanes left on Z97 for the 750 if you SLI. 850 Pro might be a better choice for you.

4. mexy750

mexy750 Guest

GPU:
    3x EVGA Titan X SC
    I'm having a intel 750, the 1.2TB version. On synthetic benchmarks it is unbeatable, but i'm not sure about real life scenarios. I've expected a little more. I wanted quick gta v loading time, but still have to wait a bit too much. (ironically, it is now even more frustrating after spending so much money on the storage...)

Had to upgrade my bios, but afterwards i was able to use it as a boot device, had no issues with windows 8.1.

If i could go back in time i would rather get a 850PRO + another titan instead.

just for the record, here is what i was able to measure: http://postimg.org/image/rmusriztf/

5. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    In the reviews I've seen, it is absolutely unbeatable in storage intensive applications, which sadly aren't things that most people will use. It is however, a great drive for enthusiasts or people that need/want to build a personal/small business server without spending even more on the DC series parts. I think game loading times were consistent across most SSDs, even the low end ones were just fractions of a second away from the best ones.

Here is the link.
    http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    750 uses a 4x pcie lanes, leaving gpu at 8x and 4x which wouldnt be recommended