Is Learning AutoCad worth it?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Yecnot, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I'm 15 and I still haven't learned a single scripting language yet. I think I'm going to start with something basic like this software before I hit something like java or c++.

2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    well c++ is rather easy to learn it would be good to start with

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Two entirely different worlds. You don't get the gist of any real programming with Autocad.

Start with Python if you're interested in scripting. AutoIT I find for automation purposes is a good introduction to a BASIC-like language. C++ is hardcore as it lets you work from scratch, but good to start with nevertheless.

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    AutoCAD is a 3D drafting/modeling program, not a programming language.

5. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    You don't say ^_^

I mean it was on the list of things I thought I needed to learn.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    The basics of java and C++ are like the same exact thing. Pick one, you pretty much know the other.

I took Java in highschool and then destroyed the intro C++ class I took in college.

7. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    In my school we have "academies". I thought I selected a programming course, but what I really got was a mechatronics course on electricity, and building and programming robots with a visual-based program called LabView, which is far too simple to use IMO. I don't want to dedicate my entire high-school career into being some "overly-exaggerated enthusiastic robotics 'knowledge is great' poster-boy". I need to learn **** that is actually useful. (Although they do tell me if I finish 3 consecutive semesters in this "academy" I will receive some sort of technician certification when I graduate)

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Huh, that sounds kind of fun. I know what you mean though. I haven't touched VB, but I wonder if they'd let you try to code in java or something. I'd bet the robots could be programmed with a different language. I think Lego Mindstorms can take the weird thingy that Lego made, and also java.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    LabVIEW is far too simple? You have no idea :p

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well hmmh java is the most used language currently as it is the biggest thing in mobile and web development. C++ is used but not as much. Jobs with c++ are really hard to come by at least in finland. c# being the bigger one now here.

C++ is used by many game devs it seems to be a norm in that area.

C++ and Java are not that similar imo apart from basics (of course when you know one language well it helps with other especially at start)... C# and java is a whole other ballgame tho.

I myself work with C and Java. Problem I see with C# is microsoft only. Java, Python and lets say Ruby are good platform independent languages. And for scripting Python, PHP, Ruby, Perl, Javascript etc pick your weapon.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Actually AutoCAD is a 2D design/drawing software that can also be used for some 3D modeling/rendering.

It isn't a parametric modeling program like Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks, both of which are "true" 3D design software.

12. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would go with Java. Its pretty simple. I did mainly C at uni, some C++ and C# but decided to give Java a try during my free time and i prefer it over others now.

13. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    This just doesn't end :infinity:

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    There is no help in learning autocad when it comes to programming languages. But you can benefit from programming languages when making plugins for autocad. :D

No really what would you want to do anyway? Autocad is a good software to learn if you want to start designing stuff. And useful. Most useful programming language to get a job in the future atm would be Java for real.

15. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Most likely I'm going to the military. As poor as I am, I have no faith in the job market or higher education right now (although I have taken all AP and gifted courses offered to me).

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Let me help you're mind a bit. No one besides your guidance counselor and your parents cares about what you did in High School. Grades, courses, pointless. Just as long as you finish HS, you are set.

Though I would take up votech if your school offers it. I don't think I would have graduated without it. Most places have you join as a sophomore.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    The problem you have with AP classes is that colleges are dicks about it and don't accept them, or require you to have a 5. I ran into that with all of mine for U of M.