*ASAP* Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard won't boot USB? HELP**

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jw_Leonhart, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    So i'm tying to boot linux off my 32gb flash drive. It's installed on there correctly because my other computers boot it right up...

My main computer though, it must have something to do with the motherboard, it's all I can think of...

Any idea of what it could possibly be? It just says insert proper boot media.

I've been able to boot Windows 7 install from USB so i don't understand :-\

:bang:

The sooner the better please i'm stuck in the middle of this right now!

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did you hit F8 during post and select a temp boot device?

3. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Phil, I appreciate the responce but I obviously did go through the 1-time boot menu. I eventually was able to get Ubuntu to start up but now i'm getting all kinds of errors. My 2 other desktops run it fine, but my main PC and my laptop have trouble.

Main PC I could kind of care less about with Linux... it's my laptop I wanted to really have it under... but for some reason it just locks up 24/7... Every like 10 minutes.

My laptop is just a crappo Acer Aspire 7250-3821

I don't get what the heck would keep making it lock up. No external devices attached except the SD Card.

Tried multiple USB flash drives and SDCards.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Install EasyBCD (on your OS), then go to Add New Entry tab > Portable/Extended Media > Bios Extender > Install Plop Boot Manager. That will add a new entry to your boot options to boot from a USB device. Make sure you have no USB hub plugged in when you reboot, just your USB flash drive.