353.06 - How do I tell if G-sync is working?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stryfex, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    Hey,

I have an XB270HU Gsync monitor, and I've been playing Witcher 3 and I'm convinced that G-sync is not actually working...because I enabled a fps counter (MSI Afterburner) and my framerates are usually in the 35-50 range but the game just doesn't feel smooth at all...which I understand is the entire point of G-sync

Is there something I can do to verify it? I was under the impression that everything north of about 30 fps should feel really smooth with Gsync enabled

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Is there screen tearing? If not, gsync is on.. Its not gonna make 30 fps magically feel like 60 fps

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    You misunderstood what g-sync is.

4. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    I've never had screen tearing in my life...as I've always played with V-sync...

With Battlefield 4, G-sync made the game feel like it was at 60+ fps no matter what fps it was actually at

I regularly see people review the technology as "buttery smooth 30+ fps"...buttery smooth is definitely not what I'm experiencing

5. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    My RogSwift tells me if gsync is on when I open its menu. I suppose it is the same on yours.
    But that is not enough to be sure that gsync is really working since in recent drivers, my monitor reports G-sync is on even on desktop (this is true since 350.xx release)

So first check if you are running in fullsecreen exclusive mode (not window borderless) in W3 options.
    If you are using 353.06 driver, in nvidia control panel use "Gsync for fullscreen only" option
    Many people reported performance issue if "fullscreen + window" option is selected (even in fullscreen exclusive mode)

6. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    I think that was it!!!!!!!!! I put it to fullscreen only and my framerate shot up by like 10-20 fps and the smoothness is there big time...now I don't know if that smoothness has to do with the extra frames or g-sync kicking in...but I'm a happy camper!!

7. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Great. Nvidia is now aware of that problem so it will probably be fixed in future releases. But I think it is tricky to play correctly with DWM in that case so it will certainly take time.
    I'm surprised that they tried to implement that.

Regarding G-Sync in general, 40+ fps is considered as the sweet spot.
    Fps in range of 30-40 are a bit too low for G-sync to fully compensate the slowdown perception (even if it helps)

8. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I had the exact same problem. Hopefully the hotfix deals with it.

10. Datafiend

Datafiend Guest

GPU:
    Just a quick question. Under the V Sync option in the Nvidia control panel, do I turn V Sync off? There is no option to use G Sync under the V Sync option in the control panel.