RX 580 - higher priced models worth it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Oni, May 12, 2017.

1. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    Hi, planning to buy a RX 580 8 GB. The lowest priced one (230$) currently on newegg is MSI Armor 8G OC (1366 MHz Boost clock, 8000MHz memory clock)
    Comparing it to one of the higher-end models(270$) MSI Gaming X+ 8G (1441 MHz boost clock, 8100 MHz memory)

How much performance improvement can I approximately expect for this 40$ price difference?

Also if anyone has buying the MSI Armor edition card, how much does it overclock? If both cards end up overclocking up to same clock speed then I won't mind buying the Armor edition card as I'm used to GPU overclocking.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Higher priced are maybe higher binned chips = higher clock.

Idk, its up to you but i would probably with something like Nitro+ instead.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The cooler on the Armor is effectively the old Twin Fozer 3. You could get by on it with a 1060 as they don't get too hot but the 580 is very power hungry and produces more heat. The Gaming X has a phenomenal cooler. Also Sapphire Nito+ is a great choice.

4. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    The Nitro+ edition(not limited edition) is 260$ on newegg, which is 1411 MHz boost, 8000 MHz mem. In comparison MSI Gaming X is 250$ with 1393 MHz boost, 8100 MHz mem. So arguably MSI one might be the better choice assuming both coolers have similar capabilities.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Research XFX :D
    They are Very Good....

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Would not touch XFX again if I was paid to. Also would stay away from PowerColor.

7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Imo,buy what you can afford now.
    MSI Armor/Gaming with 3 years warranty are a good choice.You can undervolt and took that card to 1400+.

8. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    Undervolt or overvolt?

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I usually buy Sapphire cards but whats wrong with XFX or Powercolor? You seem to always have an nvidia so how much do actually know about AMD brands?

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Seen too many horror stories about power cooler and wth XFX I've owned 4 cards from them. Well technically two as the two that ended up working from them were reference cards and therefore built by AMD and XFX slapped a sticker on the box. The two custom XFX cards I had were 1GB 6950's that both had random black stripped screen crashes. I've also had issues with ASUS and AMD as my ilfates 7970 suffered random crashes as the factory overclock was unstable.

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I am using XFX GTS Black Edition RX 580 on my Other Rig and its cooling is very good aside from having no rgb leds..

Able to clock to 1500 Just fine..:D

TimeSpy:

[​IMG]

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Impressive, Odellot.

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Undervolt (~0.025-0.050V).For better temp and performance. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I been using xfx for around 6 years now.....yea in the past they had issues...but there current stuff is top notch for real...and you can do rmas direct thru the rep which is a huge time saver cause we skip the line lol

15. Spuk0

Spuk0 Guest

GPU:
    P/C Vega 64 Devil
    I've owned several XFX cards since their Nvidia 5 series days... and still have them... and I have 2 XFX RX480s 4G. models I got with rebate for around $170 right before the RX5x series came out... no problems... I also own a Powercolor RX570 and RX580 Golden Devil and so far no problems with either of them... generally if something is going to fail it will within a short period of time... that's why there are warranties... everything else is just user related... so keep the heat low, the power clean and don't abuse anything too much overclocking and your electronics will live a normal healthy lifespan...

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I only went for the 8GB version because of DOOM's nightmare graphics settings which req. 5GB of video memory.

17. Lukart

Lukart Active Member

GPU:
    Waiting for the next Gen
    I have a PowerColor 580 Red Devil Golden Sample and it's amazing, really good looking, solid cooler and my card clocks as high as 1510Mhz oc. :D

18. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Mine can bench that high as well......but isnt 100% bullet proof with firestrike stress test...The sweet spot for mine is 1460mhz gpu and 2250mhz Vram with slightly raised fan speeds. Mine starts to hit a power bug/feature where super high clock speeds dont raise performance anyway (1470 or higher)....the ram on these xfx cards can take the highest settings via wattman or afterburner no problem...

Mine hits a Graphics Score 4577 with timespy with 24/7 settings. Not just suicide runs as SOME people frequently post. (Not referring to anyone here)
    http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2011434
    [​IMG]

ITS CRAZY SEEING A CHEAP AMD CPU OUTSCORE MINE LOL:) Good for AMD finally!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  19. webdev77

webdev77 Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    I realize this is a little old now, but since I own a variety of RX 580s, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The Sapphire Nitro+ is definitely the best in terms of cooling or at least easiest to keep stable even at beyond typically reasonable OC settings. The MSI Gaming version also has very good cooling, but it is noticeably hotter and is harder to keep stable for me.

I have two PowerColor Red Devil RX 580s and those run pretty well, but pump heat out their rears towards the front of your case like there's no tomorrow. One of the two overclocks significantly better than the other because it has better memory in it. Just luck of the draw there though.

I also have the Asus Dual OC and MSI Armor OC versions, and I prefer the Asus even though they have a cheap plastic shrouding on them, but that does have the benefit of blowing hot air upwards instead of towards the front of the case.

20. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    XFX's are much improved. I prefer Sapphire over all others for AMD.