ATI Mobility HD 2300 drivers after 10.2 Legacy, @asder00 we need your help..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AmiloMan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Hi Everyone,

Anyone care to share some insight on drivers that have been modded for "legacy" cards, after the 10.2 legacy drivers?

Was wondering if anyone managed to MOD some newer version drivers and added HD 2300 support to them.

@asder00 could you please be kind enough and do your magic on one of them newer drivers: here are the details:

Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x7210
    SubSys ID: 0x11071734

We need your help oh great Guru's because AMD have foresaken us :lurk:

thanks guys in advance.

2. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    download a new CCC driver.. (download the CCC Driver before v 12.6 dont download higher than .12.6 WHQL)

open the installation inf ,,

now find the string : AMD679A.1

look at the right end of the string... where u see the dev_****

change the dev_(numbers) with yr gfx card's number..

then install the driver through control panel...

should work... remember... to do a clean uninstall before installing the new driver.. and keep a working driver with you.. in case of failure...

3. Solid_State

Solid_State Guest

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    @AmiloMan

A curios question for you. What do you plan to achieve from your request, that your not with legacy drivers?

Maybe I will learn something from your answer.

Thanks.

4. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Thanks ankinferno that sounds like a solution i will give that a try and post my results.:)

Solid_State those drivers are more than 2yrs old so you can expect better performance from newer drivers and that's just scratching the surface.

5. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    ankinferno

I tried modifying the inf for 12.4b Hotfix drivers with my dev id but it did not work, got an error right after the install .

The Device Cannot Start (Code 0).

Guess that's why no one has found a way to successfully mod the newer drivers :3eyes:

The proper line for this card is : ati2mtag_M71, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7210

Even tried changing the ati2mtag_*** to my M71 but still its a no go.

I appreciate the effort.Thanks

6. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Just because driver base for that cards was removed 2+ years ago. Maybe smth a few months newer can be modded (10.3-10.6), but not modern ones. From newest drivers there was removed baseline for DX10 (hd2400-hd4890) cards, not speaking about DX9 ones (because HD2300 looks like rebranded X1300 series of chips).

7. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    hmm...

It is a bit critical though... even my card HD 4650 is currently in the Legacy list of AMD but i managed to get the unsupported 12.8 drivers to work with my device..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can try the same process back again.. keeping these files of the working driver in the driver folder and rest of the files replaced with the new version :

atikmdag.sy_

atidxx64.dl_

atiumdag.dl_

atiumd64.dl_

atikmpag.sy_

---++== by doing this.. it might not increase the D3D driver version.. but will update rest of the component...

In my case .. i managed to install all the new files...

8. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    These files are for win 7 right?
    atikmdag.sy_

atidxx64.dl_

atiumdag.dl_

atiumd64.dl_

atikmpag.sy_

which ones are for xp?

9. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    hmmmm no idea bro.... my motherboard doesnt supports Windows XP.. so i can only suggest for win 7...

10. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    ankinferno ROCKS!!:banana: IT WORKS!!!!

I got the 12.6 version working after replacing the files with some of the legacy version files.Im using the 10.9 catalyst Control Center and 12.6 drivers Now.Testing for stability ,so far so good.....

Thanks alot a bro for all the Help :).

11. KuriaN

KuriaN Guest

GPU:
    Ati Mobility Radeon 4650
    Hey man!, can u upload your modded drivers for Mobility HD 2300? I have a friend with 10-2 legacy with this card too :(

But I need it for W7 x64 :(

12. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    He could try the same process for the 64bit version using the method ankinferno explained in this thread.

13. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You must also not replace aticfx32.dll/aticfx64.dll with higher versions as well as not replacing the other ones given, or games and apps will begin to randomly crash complaining about an unloaded atiumdag.dll.

Do not change the kernal atikmpag.sys/atikmdag.sys files either or x64 kernal patchguard will kick in and you'll be back in VGA mode. Experimenting with everything apart from the kernal files is fine.

"The Mobility Radeon HD 2300 is a budget product which includes UVD in silica but lacks unified shader architecture and DirectX 10.0/SM 4.0 support, limiting support to DirectX 9.0c/SM 3.0 using the more traditional architecture of the previous generation."

Probably why they removed it since 10.2, like 9600,1950xtx and the rest of the DX9 crowd that got dumped to concentrate on DX10.1/Vista/Win7 or the flavour of the month. Did the removal of those cards improve the drivers ? not really no.
    Now they just did it again with 2-4K series, will it improve the drivers ? Probably not...5k series...you're turn next.

I believe it's called "planned obsolescence", an evil practice competitors don't seem to be suffering from the same affliction, supporting as they do cards back from 2004.

Typical ATI, support a card for a couple of years and then boom, move along please, we don't mind if the existing drivers we happen to leave you behind with suck. Thank god for modding.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  14. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Great input kevsamiga1974, thanks for adding more info about this.

15. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    So replace
    atidxx32.dll
    atidxx64.dll
    atiumd64.dll
    atiumdag.dll
    with the old ones or not?

16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    but legacy code is removed from the files you really want... dx/ogl dlls, meaning the game fixes/boosts wont appear, so what's the point? (other than little 2d/video bugs that may fix, or break..)

17. popeye

popeye Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    Kinda like pounding the pud into a Kleenex. :banana:

18. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    The File List !

This is the file list so far....

atikmdag.sy_

atidxx64.dl_

atiumdag.dl_

atiumd64.dl_

atikmpag.sy_

aticfx32.dll/aticfx64.dll

After Installing the new drivers I can say that they have given me a performance boost.I did it at my own risk and its way better than the old legacy that's for sure.

19. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    The Process..

I used the DNA modded drivers to make it work :).DNA Drivers are performance modded drivers with a wide range of support for most cards.The Dev has added support for legacy cards including HD 2300 "M71's" and "M72's".

I tried installing the DNA 12.6b2 with support for HD 2300 but it kept refusing to install.

Here is what I did to make the drivers work.

-Downloaded these new dna-amd-gfx-12-6b-2 drivers..
    http://donotargue.com/note/dna-amd-gfx-12-6b-2/

-Downloaded DNA-Legacy 10.2.1 drivers
    http://donotargue.com/category/dna-modded-drivers/dna-ati-legacy/dna-ati-legacy-windows-7/

-There is NO NEED TO MOD the inf because it has already been modded with support for HD 2300,I checked just to conifirm:)

-Extracted Both sets of drivers

-Searched for these files in the legacy drivers folder:

*atikmdag.sy_

atidxx64.dl_

*atiumdag.dl_

atiumd64.dl_

atikmpag.sy_

Note* : I did not find all of these in the install folder but I copied the one's that I found(I found the one's with stars).Search the files 1 by 1 just to be sure :)

-Copied the files to the 12.6b drivers folder and replaced them.

- Uninstalled current drivers from Control Panel.

- Rebooted Computer

-then installed the driver through control panel.

Result : Drivers are working fine with performance increase in all GPU related areas.

If you are going to try this do it at your own risk since system stability is not guaranteed and I heard that DNA drivers could fry your G-card(very rare occasions, I have been using them for years with no problems) .

These are the steps for regular drivers but will have to mod the inf...

Here is how to do it yourself.

- Download a latest driver from AMD(anything till 12.6)

- Download the 10.2 Legacy driver from AMD.

-Extract the Drivers : you could run the exe and when it has unpacked the drivers "usually in the AMD\Support folder" click cancel on the AMD installer.

-Do the Same extraction process for the the legacy drivers, these go into the ATI\Support folder by default.

- Go tho the .inf file in the drivers folder and look for AMD679A.1.

-look at the right end of the string... where u see the dev_****

-change the dev_(numbers) with yr gfx card's number..

-Now Open the 10.2 legacy Driver Folder and search for these files:

* atikmdag.sy_

atidxx64.dl_

* atiumdag.dl_

atiumd64.dl_

atikmpag.sy_

Note* : I did not find all of these in the install folder but I copied the one's that I found(I found the one's with stars).Search the files 1 by 1 just to be sure :)

-Copy the found files into the New drivers Folder and replace if prompted.

- Uninstall Your older drivers from Control Panel.

- Restart Computer

-then install the driver through control panel.

20. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    not sure why you wouldnt find those other ones, they're the 64bit versions that are always there in the 64bit package in the 64bit folder (or maybe just those betas/hotfixes have a 64bit folder next to a 32bit one)