Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Anarion, Apr 13, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    none the less the sonic dont work for me, but your right my 24/48 reset it 16/48

2. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The Dolby Atmos team contact me in a email said that when Dolby Atmos is enable for Headphones, it use 2ch mode mode because Windows 10 Spatial Audio API take the 7.1ch or 5.1ch & encode it in realtime back to 2.0ch mode. enable 5.1ch mode disable Spatial Audio API.

They said Dolby Atmos for Headphone software is in work in process since the build they ship to Windows Store was rush & they working out the bugs.

So far Windows Sonic is doing better work in effects but Atmos has a tiny bit better in surround sound then Windows Sonic.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said sonic dont work for me, I hear zero diffrence

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I did some testing (used stereo direct mode). In Skyrim it didn't do anything. It clearly doesn't work properly. Games detect it as stereo so positioning will not be any better and the extra virtual stereo upmixing just hurts it. Audio mixing is Skyrim has always been bugged so in stereo mode everything sounds too quiet. Thus it's pretty easy to notice that the Windows Sonic thingy wasn't working.

Not sure if it works in UWP apps - there was difference when I watched video with 5.1 soundtrack but I'm not sure if it just did virtual stereo upmixing there too.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    For me i found it to work with movies, when i have them config to 5.1, Some movies not all of them. When I don't check the box to do virtual 7.1, I gotten it to work a bit better in games that allow you to set the speaker channels, even through windows forces stereo but not perfectly since it prolly conflicting with windows.

I guess if enough people contact microsoft on how to improve it, maybe they listen and allow you to config the count of speakers, so it will work correctly and not revert back to stereo or turn it self off.

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There are tons of free better solutions..

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Razer surround software doesn't work that well for me, and creative SB blaster X lite if I recall is also limited to stereo too, I have to try it again to check. but I don't like the way Razer surround work or does to the sound to use it and the amount of issues that it causes.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For movies, most of advanced free players are able do downmix from multichannel to stereo simply via LAV filters.
    For games my Creative Titanium do a better job using CMSS-3D (note that you must set 5.1 and headphones in the creative control panel).
    Just because if branded "dolby" doesn't mean quality.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea I have used an couple of them back when I was watching just DVDs before I moved on to blu rays and 3D. Yea it is very important that people remember to config windows audio to 5.1 when there using CMSS3D headphone or SBX surround, most times people don't and then they start to wonder why every thing is sounding off.

yea when I see Dolby or DTS labs quality doesn't pop into my mind only an logo, It just sad that Microsoft did not think this through clearly, when they decided to add this to the creator update, Unless it still not complete and maybe planning to update it at an later time, to be able to config it for 5.1 to make it work right. But that only an wishful thinking.

This would had been great for usb external dac amp users like my self, if they done this correctly, instead of doing this half way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  10. loc

loc New Member

GPU:
    Asus 3080 TUF OC
    I've tried to get both Spatial sound formats to get working on ODAC+AMP combo but either of those do nothing. Tested the formats on my 2.1 desktop speakers where it had effect but to much worse than nothing. It there a way to get those to work with ODAC's?

11. PanzerIV

PanzerIV Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX570 @ 860
    We're in June 2018 and I just did a clean install to put the new (Windows 10 RedStone 5) update which isn't available yet to the public, yet with all the latest stuff I still have the same bugs as you guys.

This POS application from Dolby always resets the audio to (Stereo 16Bit 48Khz) no matter what I do! It's a shame as I have an external dac (NAD M51) that can do 32Bit with way more than 192Khz, also 48Khz is the limit of Dolby Non-TrueHD so wtf?!

I've tryed listening to music in Winamp and I couldn't see any difference other than it only sounds much louder than set to ''Disabled''. Sonic versus Dolby was minimal and maybe even placebo effect. It better be worth it and works in most games otherwise it's absolute garbage that isn't even worth 1$.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Can you point us out?

I've tried ATMOS & Sonic -> Best for my setup is to leave Default 192KHz Stereo or 5.1 96Khz with headphones ON in SB-Z
    Yes im hearing all sounds correctly, leafs shimering on top in BF1 etc. Above/Beneath and 5.1 NP

im equiped with Sencheiser G4ME One, pluged into Headphones 600OHm Plug in SB-Zx

13. Loster

Loster Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I can hear a difference between the diferent modes. I am using mostly Headphones so (Dolby Atmos for Headphones) is set all the time. It only activates if you are watching i think at least 5.1 content. In the taskbar it shows if it's activated underneath the Volumebar, for example: "Dobly Atmos for Headphones is in use". If it's not there so it's not being used.

[​IMG]

Another one i just discovered in the latest Windows10 RS5 17704 there are some ne DTS modes, but kinda not useable yet.
    [​IMG]

OnnA likes this.