Vsync Microstuttering frustrations

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Jun 19, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This is something that really confuses and pisses me off.

Basically

60Hz Vsync + 30FPS cap = Constant microstuttering , decent Input lag.
    60Hz 1/2 Refresh Vsync + 30FPS cap = No microstuttering, large increase in input lag.

It's ridiculously frustrating.

I've got plenty of overhead to achieve perfect 30FPS if I can't maintain a perfect 60FPS in any given game. But every few seconds or when the camera is moved, it drops a frame or there is a spike in the time it takes to get a frame out and it creates judder/microstutter.

I don't understand how this is happening. Double buffered Vsync = can't maintain 60, drops to 30. So why is this happening when a 30FPS cap is being used?

Using Triple buffering doesn't seem to help this issue.

I've noticed this in a few games and it's a big problem in the game i'm playing now, Mafia II.

And maybe this explains *somehow* the constant microstuttering I get in Dead island with a 30FPS cap and Vsync on. I don't recall trying it with 1/2 Refresh to check microstuttering but I do remember trying 1/2 Refresh to check input lag and it was a bit worse :(

*Video Link* https://www.copy.com/s/asp9Aw1Er9oP/Stutter with Framerate showing.avi

Anyone else ever notice this?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    what graphics card are you using?

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Gtx 570

4. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Use adaptive vsync in Mafia 2 anything else seems to have framepacing issues whether you use vsync in-game or the control panel.

In quite a few games vsync doesn't work properly so you just have to try different combinations between in-game vsync, control panel vsync or adaptive vsync, triple buffering on and off, or D3DOverider with triple buffering as one method doesn't always fix it.

5. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Who in the right mind would be using double buffered VSync? :3eyes:

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Triple buffering in some cases actually increases input lag. So don't be ignorant alright?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Maybe that's it. Triple buffering was causing some issues and increasing IL a bit for this game.

Adaptive Vsync isn't an option for me. I can't stand tearing when it comes to SP games.

Right now 1/2 refresh is doing the job. But it's not an ideal solution :(

8. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I would like to see those cases. Never encountered them in 12 years.

9. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Short random vsync question: My NVIDIA panel does only show "on", "off" and something with "3d settings". Where can I enable, let's say, adaptive?
    And last time I've read about triple buffering I heard "only enable it with vsync", is that still true? Or can it improve performance w/o vsync?

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    TB only works with vsync..

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I just showed you one. And it's not the only reported case.

Not every game has increased input lag. But many do, Mafia II, L4D2,WoW on OSX, and others too.

Some games have decreased input lag, such as Pinball FX2 and others.

But it's not universal.

Triple buffering also breaks Steam Big Picture and causes it to crash.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    in L4D2 cap to 60fps +Triplebuffer vsync, driver 1 frame to render ahead and no input lag at all, well very very minimal.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I get a ton of Input lag with Vsync/+TripleBuffering in L4D2. (And I do have the game capped to 60> so i'll have to try that)

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Well read up on triple buffering then.

By its very design it creates input lag in every single game.

Someone not noticing it, well, that's a different story.

15. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm playing L4D2 with triple buffered Vsync and the only input lag, which I don't even notice anymore, is from Vsync itself.

MrBonk, you can always try forcing triple buffering with RP. Oh yeah, and in 99% you NEED to cap FPS as well, otherwise you will see stuttering. Especially in L4D2. Use RTSS to cap it globally. But not to 30 FPS, but to 60 FPS. If you can maintain solid 60, you'll be fine.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I do use RTSS to cap the framerate almost all the time in every case.

17. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Any form of V-Sync always introduces some input lag, but the extent of it depends on the game engine in question. For example, mouse responsiveness is really impacted in Source and UE3 games, but it's a lot more subtle in BF3/BF4 (Frostbite 2/3) and Halo PC (Blam!).

Of course, personal preferences differ so YMMV.

Fluid controller response is key for me, so no V-Sync in any game here. I just cap FPS at 58 or 62 which leaves only a bit of minor screen tearing that doesn't really bother me.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  18. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    With vsync enabled there is usually no reason to cap with rtss. Capping framerate outside of the application can cause microstutter. Which will be more noticeable the lower your framerate. Also try temporarily disabling hyperthreading as it can be a cause, usually with SLI but it can't hurt to try.
    If nothing else works try capping framerate to 1-4 FPS BELOW your synced framerate. Start at 1 and work down

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I get a lot of judder/if capped at 59/58 and it feels really off.

If I don't cap at 60, it seems the framerate fluctuates a lot more between 58,59/60 (As the actual display refresh rate is actually 59.94 or 59.97 on some of my monitors) and frame times are more erratic. Usually capping at 60 keeps a consistent 16.67ms

But the problem here is using standard 60HZ vsync, but with a 30FPS cap. Which should be fine.

Maybe it's just the game i'm playing that's the problem. Because as I mentioned, 1/2 refresh works fine. But increases the input lag probably about 50ms just based on how it feels.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I went for a different solution with a game that can't maintain 60FPS. In this case, that's Assassin's Creed IV. It would drop down to ~52FPS at worst.

So to solved that, I created a 48Hz mode for my monitor (with CRU) and use V-Sync. The game then ran at 48FPS at all times, and was still smooth. 48Hz is the lowest my monitor will go. 48Hz is also awesome for 24P (24FPS) movies, btw.

Frankly, with this game, I can't tell much difference between 48Hz and 60Hz since I play with an XBOX gamepad. Other than having absolutely zero stutters in 48Hz, of course. If using a mouse though, then 48FPS doesn't feel as smooth as 60 of course, but still much much better than if I had used 30FPS at 60Hz.

Note that for this to actually be smooth, your monitor must actually really output 48Hz. If the monitor is frame skipping at that frequency, then you'll get stutters. After you switch to a 48Hz mode, you can test for frame skipping. If you see gaps in the photo you take there, than you're out of luck; your monitor can't display 48Hz smoothly.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014