Colour temperature in driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by derpyQ, May 4, 2015.

1. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    I'm considering an Nvidia GPU, but before I move from AMD I want to know about colour options in the driver.

With AMD, you can make the driver set the display colour to either a colour temperature of your choice, or pull the value from your monitor with EDID. Does Nvidia's driver have a similar choice? If it does, what's the default? If it doesn't, what does the driver do?

Thanks

2. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    nvidia doesn't have an option for color temperature, or i never found one

3. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    Hm. Do you know whether the driver tries to obtain that value via EDID then, or whether it just uses its own value instead?

4. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Pretty sure it pulls from the EDID of the monitor. I know you can still modify the gamma curve and color temp with an ancient program called Powerstrip (like win98/2k old, but still works in win 8.1 lol). The only problem is they started charging for it, I forget the last free version (3.x?).

But yea, the nvidia control panel doesn't have color temperature. You need a third party app for this.

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  6. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB