Perfect Repair of Samsung 850Pro from EXM02B6Q firmware update failure

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Asuka, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Asuka

Asuka Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R685OC/1G
    Announcement:
    This repair owes to user: neeyuese at a Chinese IT community PCEVA. With his permission, I, Asuka of PCEVA, am spreading this repair to the public with no profitable purpose. Use this repair on your own risk. Forgive my English if any offense occured.
    The original thread is http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-117373-1-1.html

Where to download this repaired firmware: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9pip6k2wpdcz3q5/850Pro_Repair_PCEVA.rar

Expected outcome after repair: SSD recovery with all the data included previously (perfect repair).

Brief theory of this repair:
    According to neeyuese, Samsung's toolbox messed up during rewriting. More specifically, the synchronization of identify section is failed which leads to the mismatch of capacity, model name and so on. Consequently, your SSD is sucked.

Therefore, he targeted on completing firmware update. Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_EXM02B6Q_Win_Mac.iso, the latest firmware include there major parts:
    DSRD.ENC, model identification file, encrypted.
    DSRD1_0.EXE, update program.
    FW folder, in which EXM02B6Q.ENC is included and encrypted, is the firmware itself.

He decrypted DSRD.ENC and found that it is a XML file. He noticed <SN>ALL</SN> which is very suspicious, so he input ALL into <MOD> and <CURFW> section. After encrypting this file back again, he attempted updating firmware but failed. Error message is that, Firmware is already updated onto this SSD. So he altered the <NEWFW> section from EXM02B6Q into EXM03B6Q. This time, the update succeeded even though the message popped up suggested that upgrade unsuccessful. SSD is recovered with all the data.

If you still have hope to fix your 850Pro and all the data included, please do not proceed to RMA or use any other existed repairs. If you succeeded in repairing your SSD, please spread this thread to the public with me. If you encounter any other problems, please leave a message with sufficient detail.

To SAMSUNG: Respect our fingers!

2. joey79

joey79 Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    I don't think any user is feeling well while flashing a somehow modified firmware to his SSD. Nobody can predict what will happen.
    If anybody experienced problem with the Firmware update I recommend to RMA the SSD. Samsung will replace it!

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Today I managed to make my 850 Pro unbootable just by fiddling with BIOS disk settings(AHCI/RAID/Intel RST) WTH??
    I used Windows USB installation to repair it and make it bootable; but again WTH. I don't see how is possible to screw your boot files via BIOS settings :3eyes:

I won't be using this custom firmware. Why should I?
    Has anyone done comparison with the old one?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you install windows with BIOS set to AHCI, then switch to something else, or vice versa, it will fail to boot

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Good call :) but it wasn't that. AHCI is ON, allays been
    I poked around in BIOS... BAAM! boot sector gone, disk unbootable.
    I revert BIOS back, still no boot. So I used Win repair hoping that it would do - and it did phew...

6. Zibri

Zibri Active Member

GPU:
    2xEVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 SLI
    Does anybody have a copy of the original file? Samsung_SSD_850_PRO_EXM02B6Q_Win_Mac.iso

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  8. Zibri

Zibri Active Member

GPU:
    2xEVGA NVIDIA GTX 580 SLI