my budget gaming rig

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by JMARRION, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JMARRION

JMARRION Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 5770 1GB DDR5
    Hi sirs,

I built my gaming rig a year back and requesting for your advise and evaluation reagrding my system. please advise if my set-up is balance, im currently using Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 Ghz, Asus P5Q premium, 6GB DDR2 667, XFX HD 5770 and a cooler master GX 750 watts. few days back i have purchased another HD 5770 to go crossfire.

qustions

1. is my current stock CPU okay for crossfire without overclocking?
    2. are my hardwares are balance?

2. BronzeMFP

BronzeMFP Guest

GPU:
    Radeon6950 2gb trifire
    Sounds to me like you have a solid system.
    With crossfire, you would probably see benefits from overclocking the cpu, but I don't think it would be a requirement to run 2 5770's
    the power supply should easily handle it, so no problem there.

The simple reccomendation is to get a good cooler for the cpu and give it a moderate overclocking. something that will help performance, but nothing extreme that will drasticly reduce it's lifespan.

be careful. crossfire is addictive. I can only buy graphics cards in pairs now. I'm also getting the itch to try crossfire with 3 cards. you've been warned :)

3. JMARRION

JMARRION Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 5770 1GB DDR5
    thanks for the advise sir, so basically my stock C2D E7300 2.6 Ghz will handle 2x HD 5770 crossfire without overclocking?

im using the Cm V8 but i really dont have plans to OC now, so i just want to know if the set up is balance w/out battle necking my CPU in crossfire mode.

crossfire really went under my skin and have sleepless nights thinking how it will be like having 2 video cards working. finally got my 2nd card after a year.

for a beginner like me, i think 2 cards are enough for me and thank god i have no more slots on my mobo to try quad crossfire or something. yes indeed addictive :)

4. BronzeMFP

BronzeMFP Guest

GPU:
    Radeon6950 2gb trifire
    I don't really know much about intel cpu's right now. you'll just have to see how everything works once you get the second card in. I'm guessing you won't have any problems with the cpu bottlenecking the cards too bad, but overclocking will only increase performance. What type of bottlenecking are you worried about? gaming or folding? Folding, you won't have any problems. Gaming, like i said, you shouldn't have problems, but you will probably notice an performance increase from OC'ing the CPU.

Only having 2 mobo slots won't stop you... you'll start looking for mobo's that will support 3 and 4 way crossfire. then one will just happen to pop up on newegg as an open box special. how can you pass that up? then a 3rd graphics card will do the same. next thing you know, you'll have a monster rig that will keep your room warm without turning on the heat during the winter. not speaking from experience or anything, lol.