bios flash 390x memory timings

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nav-jack, Dec 22, 2015.

1. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    with some help on overclock.net forums i edited my bios and flashed it with better memory timings and got a pretty fricken high score in 3dmark http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6894435 DISCUSS

2. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    nice :)

3. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    i'm going to fiddle around and maybe do some other tweaks. but so far i'm ecstatic.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Indeed. Great score for a 390X.

5. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    How does it perform in games now?

6. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    i don't play much beyond csgo and fallout 4 and borderlands 2... they all perform great, as they did before.

7. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well the idea behind modding is to squeeze more performance out of the card for games. To risk damaging your card just to achieve some score on firestrike is really not worth it. Did you gain fps on the games you play compared to before? What is the avg and min now? Otherwise no point of this thread.

8. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    That is your idea behind modding. To me games are a slight 2nd to benchmarking. Being able to squeeze more performance out of a part is a fun time for me and I learn the whole way thru. Yeah I guess I can run a csgo benchmark to see if these timings do anything measurable to my min and max and frame times. Csgo is the only thing I have previous numbers on in order to compare to. There are gamers and then there are hardware enthusiasts and I don't know many strictly gamers that would go to this length just to get a hopeful improvement.

9. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well yeah. As a matter of fact i created a thread while still bios modding my previous card trying to squeeze more points in benchmarks and more fps in games and compare it to what others got. It then ended in disaster with my card burned, which luckily got replaced.

10. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    Well I'm not messing with voltages and stuff just yet since I can do that with afterburner and other similar software.

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Christ my card at 1180/1600 can't even come close.. its at 14400 score.

12. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    well something weird happened. i decided to run DDU and do a fresh driver install. i just installed crimson 15.12 and i can't break 14k on the graphics score. i did the radeonmod stuff i think i remember applying and i have the same clocks and everything, but its still slow (its fast but its the principle of the thing). i'm going to try and flash stock bios. install the previous catalyst drivers and then the crimson drivers i had in the same order of update i did... then apply radeonmod stuff AND THEN put on the high clocking bios i made...

none of this makes sense but then with computers when do they.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Could you give a link to the info you used?

I'd like to tinker with my vBIOS too...

14. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks! Yea what I actually want to do is increase the voltage set in BIOS.
    As I've flashed my card to 290X the GPU clock is slightly higher than before and some rare cases show artefacting.
    Also I may get the black screen crash rarely, both of these are fixed by increasing voltage slightly.

EDIT: I was able to modify the voltage table values (6 of them) for the highest power state with HawaiiBiosReader and flash it.
    However the voltage didn't change, still the same as before based on monitoring with AB and GPU-Z.

Maybe I didn't do it right, but I tried to follow the instructions (find the closest match to desired voltage which is a multiply of 6.25 mV, replace the default ASIC value with the integer part of the voltage in HawaiiBiosReader, save and flash).
    Chances are my card uses preprogrammed voltage offsets which override the table values in BIOS. The voltage editing part wasn't yet complete in OC.net anyway.

Also tried changing the GPU clock from 1040 to 1000 MHz but that didn't have any effect either... which is weird.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015