Slow Internet on desktop, other devices are ok

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by W@w@Y, Oct 22, 2013.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Hi, I'm having problems with my Internet connection but I don't know how to begin to explain and which information is most relevant.

My desktop is using USB wifi (Asus something I forgot the model) but everything works fine

I moved house a month ago and since then my Internet speed crawled to slow. It's like connection gets cut off and pages refuse to load. I attributed this to the slow adsl connection and old router but yesterday I finally got my fiber connection and new router (Asus dual band n56 something) but my connection problem remains

Now it can't be the router or my connection because my other devices connected to the router works fine (smartphone and tablet)

The way I see it, it's like the desktop has problems establishing connection to the router (I noticed I had problems connecting to 192.168.1.1 to setup the router using my desktop yet had no problems when doing so with my phone or ipad

When browsing the net, launching chrome for example, my tabs take a delay to load and sometimes times out (but when I get stable speed relative to signal strength course

Any clues what's going on and how to fix? Thanks

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could try changing the wifi channel on the router in case a neighbour near your desktop is using the same channel

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Have you got the latest drivers for your gigabit Ethernet installed? Check which you are using Realtek, Marvell, etc and go to their website and get the latest version then manually update your drivers via device manager.

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    What do you mean by a neighbor near my desktop? Devices? Then router is running at 2.4 and 5ghz bandwidth if that info is relevant :)

5. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Ok I will try that when I get home. Thanks. I should download from Asus right?

Edit: I'm not using my desktop Ethernet port because I'm connected via USB wifi. Should I still update my gigabit Ethernet driver?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Your neighbours are likely using wifi too, routers use wifi channels much like TV channels - if your desktop computer is close to a neighbours house who is also using that same wifi channel as you, then it could be causing interference between them both

Channels are there to avoid you colliding with your neighbours signal and causing low speeds or dropouts

If you look in your routers webpage under wifi settings, you should see a list of channels 1-11 or 1-13

If you have a Droid, you can grab Wifi Analyser from the store for free and see which channels are the most clear near your desktop, then set the router to that channel

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Noted! Thanks!

8. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    change DNS to 4.4.2.1 (just to test)Google namebench is also awesome to test out what the best DNS in your area is .lastly GRC.com also has an epic DNS tester to know the best in your area.once you have found the best two for your particular need just change it to the two you chose and you should have better experience.keep a few of the top listed around because sometime some are better then others for a particular task .like l3 might be better to connect in america but T-Mobile DNS might be better for Europe (,just an random example with no bearing with reality)

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Is this dns thing router dependent or with my desktop? Because I've had the problem both with my previous adsl line and my new fiber line (lines were using totally different hardware)

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you leave DNS as auto on the PC, then the router will decide

If you set DNS to a static address on the PC, then that will override the routers setting for that PC

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Hi all, late reply. So far observing for 2 days, the speed has improved since day 1. Not as fast as my old fiber in my old house but better than my aDSL.

My router is using channel 11-14 and 14 is pretty much non congested so I did not change anything