Throttling GPU Stress

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by The_Fool, May 3, 2010.

1. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Folding with the GPU seems to be a bit too stressful on the GPU. Is there a way I can throttle the GPU usage back about 10% so I can at least watch VLC Player, browse the internet, or open folders on the hard drive without short freezes?

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The priority setting is on lowest by default, make sure it's set to that. You should also manually turn up your fan speed, the default HSFs on these things are no good.

3. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    That priority setting is for the CPU, not the GPU. All the settings in the folding configuration menu are all for the CPU as well, even though I'm running the GPU client. The fan speed cannot be adjusted on this card; the temperature doesn't go above 52 C on this card when stressed by folding, so there's nothing to worry about with the fan.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Ah my bad, I forgot it's just the CPU since the GPU usage seems to automatically drop low enough to allow whatever other program is running to have enough resources, in my case anyway. As for the fan, it can be adjusted on any card, but of course 52c is fine.

5. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
  6. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, I've had two Asus cards that wouldn't let me adjust the fan speed. The first, being a 8500 GT, would reset to automatic fan speed no matter what fan speed I set it to in any overclocking program. Even low level fan settings in Rivatuner resulted in in resetting to automatic.

For my current 9600 GT, I am using the low power version created by Asus that I overclocked above a normal 9600 GT. However, the fan speed settings can't even be adjusted. Either the setting is greyed out, or it immediately goes back to 35% fan speed depending on which overclock progam I use. I find it to be rather strange, but fortunately, temperature is fairly low on this card. There is a massive heat sink and fan, but the fan speed is static. The temperature maxes out at 62 C if I use a real stress test application.

Thanks for the assistance with the variable. I'll give a try once I finish upgrading Linux.

Last edited: May 3, 2010