Setting Up Notfreds VM Client

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by happy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    Guide: Setting Up Notfreds VM Client

Virtualization or VT must be enabled in bios and your processor must support.

Step 1:

go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_vmware_player/ , and download the latest player version (reason i say to go here is so you dont have to sign up on the offical website to obtain the download)

[​IMG]

Step 2:

Go to http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/vm.html and download the virtual machine.

[​IMG]

Step 3:
    Install VM Player from step one. After install restart computer as required.

[​IMG]

Step 4:
    Extract the folding appliance. In my picture I just extract to desktop. You can extract to wherever you'd prefer.

[​IMG]

If you are using a dual core then you'll only need to extract once. If using a quad then rename the extracted folder and extract another instance. I renamed both of my extracted folders like shown.

Step 5:
    Open the extracted folder and doubleclick the bottom file.

[​IMG]

This will open the VMPlayer and start the virtual machine. And will bring you to this screen.

[​IMG]

At this point the computer is folding and should be reflected in cpu usage. Now to configure.
    Type the Ip address (192.168.1.69 in my case) in your web browser. You should see this if everything is running correctly.

[​IMG]

Click Reconfigure then you'll see this screen.

[​IMG]

After configuring to your liking click reconfigure at the bottom. The instance will have to be restarted in order for the changes to take affect. Also this is how I set mine up to run two on my Q6600. I chose 2 cpu per smp.

Now go back to the VM Player as it now needs to be restarted for the changes to take affect.

[​IMG]

Click VMPlayer>Troubleshoot>Reset.

after you have rebooted the client, you need to load task manager and set the priority and affinity

Priority = Low (for every VM client you have running)
    Affinity = 1 VM instance per 2Cores

To monitor the progress of this client, in your favourite software, i tend to use HFM.NET, add the following path to your client

"\\<IP for the VM client>\c\etc\folding\1\"

this should in return produce about 4500-5000 ppd, which infact alot more the the windows smp client

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    happy, how long have you had this set up running for?
    And can you clarify how to set up multiple instances of this.

3. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    i dont run this client anymore, i've had a couple of issues with it, something router related but ill sort that out one way or another

what bit are you unsure about?

4. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I have followed your guide (very profesional by the way) and have one instance running.
    I have left the SMP instance set at 4 cpu's at the moment, showing 50-60% cpu usage.
    Priority is low affinity I have all cores ticked. (3% complete 1800 ppd).
    If I change the SMP instance to 2cpu's this does not seem to increase cpu usage.
    Do you have to run the second folding VM config file to get full usage?

5. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    yeah change the smp instance to 2 cpu, and set the core affinities, then set up another client, with the same settings (different affinities) and that should max out your cores, make sure with your gpu clients your running, to set the priority to low within the advanced options so you dont lose ppd on there

6. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    Thanks for that, it all seems to be working now. I'll post with ppd after a couple of days.

7. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    excellent glad to have helped :)

8. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    Of course you realise this could put my ppd to almost 30,000

9. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    thats ok, just you wait...couple more weeks ;)

10. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I might have to try this on my laptop too..:)

11. arcon

arcon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 & 8800 GT
    Damn good guide, perhaps using Windows Virtual PC (v6.1 x64) could solve the issues and the core limit of Vmware Player. I will try it :help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010