USB overcurrent protection detected..

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by -Tj-, Oct 2, 2014.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So today I booted my pc and was greeted with this message.. Your pc will shut down after 15seconds, enter bios to fix it

So stupid how can I enter bios if I can't even get past this message.

At first I plugged off all usb devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam) and still, then I removed front USB ports both usb3.0 and normal usb 2.0 and no change. After that I googled and saw its quite common on ASUS motherboards (saw few youtube videos). This pissed me even more, especially because it was 1st time I ever saw this.
    But I did move my mouse around 1 day earlier (from back port to front port), guess when I plugged it back in on the back I somehow caused short circuit on the rear side of the motherboard..

I managed to get it working again, yanked usb connectors a bit on the back and it went away.. :phew: was a close one.

Anyone else ever experienced this lame bug?

Ie kinda like this

Hope it was a one time thing and won't see it again:nerd:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Havent seen it on P67/Z68/Z77 or x99.. yet But i dont use the front panel USB ports.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Lucky protection kicked in, if it was shorting on back. Could blown motherboard quite easily hehe

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well it did it again, black ports on the back, I think.. I restarted PC and there it was.. :(

Damn, guess I somehow moved back shield a bit when I plugged the mouse back yesterday.. Now I yanked them usb ports/shield around it again and it posted normally, again..

Although one seems a bit weird usb 2.0 port8 (black) doesn't detect mouse/keyboard @ boot, guess i'll disable it in bios if It happens again or readjust back shiled.. Meh out of nowhere.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: or my 7yrs old logitech g15 is taking a dump.. Dont have extra keyboard just yet but It did reset one time today and turned off, after I plugged into another usb it started working again.. Hopefully its just that though.

EDIT2: well now it didnt happen anymore after next reboot (guess I yanked it good lol), I also disabled that usb2.0 port 8 just in case.. :pc1:

EDIT3: still ok, even put the PC to sleep and wokeup normally, guess I really caused a short circuit when i plugged my mouse back again yesterday.. I didnt look behind and force plugged it in, missed the port 1-2 times and guess that was it.. Now after my last re-adjusting/yanking ports a bit and that metal bracket & around them usb ports it didnt happen again..

But I will buy new keyboard anyway, this 7yr old logitech is still kinda weird don't trust it anymore.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    hmm interesting. I never seen that issue before either on my previous c2q build nor my P4 build nor my current rig. Glad to see you fixed it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah me neither ever be it my old P4 or later C2Q, but I never used Asus mobo before.
    Even now, I own this mobo over 15months, anyhow all is good again:)

Just more of a heads up if anyone experiences the same, double check your usb ports if its not touching metal bracket or anything like that.

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    getting on my z97 with many rear usb3 ports i was able to throw away my dual usb3 hub i had connected to ol' mobo.

8. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    .. funny, it has actually happened to me on the same motherboard your using, ASUS Z87 Deluxe, one of the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard that was connected to the front panel was playing up, had to disconnect it and disable the port in the bios to fix the issue.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'll keep that in mind. Same here this is my first ASUS board too. My previous rig has a Gigabyte board. I am hoping my ASUS board lasts me just as long as my Gigabyte board did or even longer.

10. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

ive seen this happen many customers desktop and laptops at work lol