What's the difference?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by StrikeQ, Jul 7, 2008.

1. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    Built my new computer finally, so now I'm looking at TV's again, of which I know very little about.

So I'm wondering what the difference is between these 3 Panasonic Viera models:

TH50PZ80U
    TH50PZ85U
    TH-50PZ800U

They are all listed as "New 2008 Arrivals" all are 50" and using the newegg compare function don't seem that different. However the difference in price is pretty big.

I've settled on getting a Plasma over LCD or DLP. Will be for movies/games/pc. 42-60" for size. I want full 1080p HDTV. ~$2,500 max budget. In case anyone has suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    The above 3 along with the samsung FP-T5084 or PN50A550 are what I'm currently looking at.

Planning to get one a long with a PS3 (MGS4 edition if it ever comes back in stock).

Think it's down between the Samsung PN50A550 and the Panasonic TH50PZ85U

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. rcca

rcca Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 OC 6GB
    Hey STRIKEQ I got the TH-50PZ85U,from Fry's $1899.99 witha 5 year in house warranty cover any amount of Pixel if showing.Warr. cost about $279.00
    I'll be up front with you.
    We love this set.1st Plasma ever owned,never owned a LCD.
    Some of my friends ask me why a Plasma,I told them did a search LCD vs Plasma.Plasma came on top.and it was a matter of preference.
    Colors are great! hardly any reflection at all.
    (1)We have a Door window behind with minie blinds,if you look real hard can see some of the door window during the day,but that's during the day,does not bother us at all,and we don't watch a lot of TV during the day.
    Any bright lights on anywhere in the room where Plasma is no Reflection.
    (2) Sound on internal not that great,but internal speakers off,we have a Bose system using the Optical hook up,WOW! sound great from our Bose.
    Using HDMI Plasma to Combo/DVD/VHS it's showing DVD at 1080p
    Using HDMI Plasma to DVR/HD showing 1080i on Comcast HD programs,Non HD showing 1080p.
    Got all my cables at Monoprice.com Fantastic prices,you don't need to spend 100's of dollars on cables. They arrived at my door in 4 working days.
    We have had the Plasma over a month.We put over 100hrs on it Broke in time.
    Then it was time to hook up my HP notebook VGA/VGA. Games look great!FPS Good.
    Games look better on the Plasma than the do on the Notebook.
    No ghosting,no burn-in's.
    I had to upgrade my GPU drivers in order for the notebook to work. Has beenOk now.
    That' it for now.
    Ron

4. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Went ahead and got the TH-50PZ85U

Now I just need to find the PS3 80GB in stock somewhere.

5. rcca

rcca Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 OC 6GB
    Hey that's great.Where did you buy it,and did you get a good deal?
    Hope you find a good price,and can find the PS3.
    Would of got the PS3 but alot of Vacation coming up to pay for,and had to get tires for one of our vehicles.
    Ron