Blue-Ray, inconsistent?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Zapmaster, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I just got a Blue-Ray player last week (Sharp 20U) which I hooked to a 50' plasma via HDMI. And, in all honesty, while the picture is good, Blue-Ray isn't all it's hyped up to be . The main problem is the consistentcy of the picture quality. I bought "Galapagos Islands" Blue-Ray (made by BBC, and same team that did Planet Earth), and while some scenes are breath taking in clarity, and in many scenes you defenitly get the "you are there" feeling because of the depth only seen in HD shows, a lot of scenes also fall flat and look very close to DVD quality. It's like a picture IQ roller coaster, it goes from spectacular to decent depending on what's being shown, very strange, at least with DVD's you could expect a stable quality all the way through. There also don't seem to be any rules to image quality of films being published as "Blue-Ray" films, yes they come on a Blue-Ray and are encoded in 1080p, but they sure don't look like it. I got "The Fugitive" on Blue-Ray and that movie looks almost exactly like a DVD copy I have, far from HD, defenitly not even close to Galapagos Islands. There is just such a huge difference between movie transfers, it's riduculus to say the least, I watched some MIII (Blue-ray) at friends house and it's just spectacular, so the potential is defenitly there, but unfortunatly it seems that when you buy a Blue-Ray film you just don't know what you'll really get. I'll defenitly be reading up reviews on the discs from now on before renting/buying.

2. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    There aren't any rules for picture quality with dvd either... chances are your seeing footage from different cameras cut together, which could explain why there is differing quality.

3. Guy0510

Guy0510 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2 @ 700/1750/11
    Why don't you play MIII on your setup and see if it is as consistent as on your friend's. Then you will know if there is something going on with your gear or not.

4. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    yes usually some transfers to bluray arent amazing, but then some transfers are spectacular. you have to take your chances and check them out. i can tell you any animation movie will look amazing. the mission impossible trilogy is amazing as well. pirates of the Caribbean is also good. the matrix trilogy is also good. just throwing those out their if you want to check them out

5. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    True, that. But you would assume that when a big studio like Warner Bros releases one of their big budget films on Blue-Ray (like the Fugitive), they would at least make some effort in actually bringing it up to HD IQ standards.

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Why? that would cost them more money...

big corporations, spending extra money... I would never assume that.

7. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Why? Because people will start avoiding buying their Blue-Ray films. Like me for example.