HDMI: video works but no sound (9800 GX2 Vista 32bit)

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by M0lestr0, Jun 4, 2008.

1. M0lestr0

M0lestr0 New Member

Hello, I've been having a little trouble.
    I hooked my the internal SPDIF cable from my MB (XFX 680i LT) to my Video Card (EVGA 9800 GX2) in order to have both sound and video go through my HDMI cable to my TV, however I only get video. I just downloaded the latest drivers from Realtek (2 weeks old) and I set the default output to 'Realtek Digital Output' but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? What am I not doing right. I'm using Vista 32bit btw.

2. bigflause

bigflause Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9600 GT
    make sure you have the pins the correct way around. how many pins does your 680 have? prob 3. two then one on it's own?

3. M0lestr0

M0lestr0 New Member

Yeah I've made sure it's correct with an XFX guy. The board has 5 pins actually, but the passthru cable only covers 2 of them, SPDIF and ground, which I have plugged in the right way. Any other ideas?

4. bigflause

bigflause Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9600 GT
    well I have a 9600 gt with the spdif passthough and I could get it to work with an asus mobo which had 3 pins. I also have a evga 630 which also has 5 but it never worked no matter what config I tried. I think nvidia have made a complete balls with this as it disables analoge sound on some TV's. It is stupid to put this connector on when they don't even supply the right cables. sorry but I don't think it will work with the 5 pins. I think for the 5pin to be activated it needs to have a +5v connected to one on the pins.

I connected my cable to the wrong one and fried the spdif. I could smell smoke comming from the card and one of the pins went black.

Not good

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008

5. Ajoobajabajeeba

Ajoobajabajeeba Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 465
    You have to make sure that your sending the right signal from your motherboard. When your sending a digital signal i believe there are options to change the format such as "pcm" and etc.... its possible that your tv does not accept the signal you are sending it, and thus you might have to send it through a reciever first, or change your output format

6. Spaze

Spaze Member

GPU:
    Point OF View NVID 8800-GT
    Hope your not using a DVI-D to HDMI cable... won't transmit audio...

edit1/ sorry didnt know it had an HDMI out from the card...

should have bought that card instead of running DVI to HDMI from the 8800 GT.. :bang:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  7. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    This problem is driving me up the effing wall!!!!
    I have the exact same problem, my tv wont let me choose an analogue source instead of the HDMI, Ive connected the internal 4/3 pin connector to the 2 pin slot on my GTX 280, nothing works for me.
    I purchased a PCI soundcard, THIS DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM, well through analogue anyway.
    The strange things with this problem are, if you disable the graphics card via device manager, the sound WILL work!!
    Re-enabling the graphics card, sound will die!!
    Secondly, if i plug my skype USB phone in, i get perfect sound through the handset.
    This is most definitely a nvidia driver issue, and as nvidia assume NO responsibility for the audio of your system, I guess we have to look for a Digital out OR usb based audio alternative.

There are ways of working around this by altering the EDID, however I aint doing this.

If anyone HAS done this and it HAS worked, pleas please post and tell us

link HERE

8. bigflause

bigflause Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9600 GT
    I edited my EDID and it worked. I lost some of the config setting because it cons the drivers into thinking you are not using HDMI. pain in the ass.

Nvidia where no help and just ignored the problem. I even RMA'd and they sent me the exact same card and refused to refund me. I have had so many issues with Nvidia I am going to buy a 4870. **** them

9. big_phil2005

big_phil2005 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6870 crossfire
    UPDATE:

Tried the EDID modded inf method, IT WORKS!!!

1. Get Phoenix EDID Designer, (http://www.tucows.com/preview/329441), unzip and run the exe (no install reqd)
    2. Click Tools->Extract registry EDID, then double click the line for your TV/monitor in the popup
    3. Click Tools->Byte viewer, and note down the values in row 00, columns 08-0B (4 bytes)
    4. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
    6. Open the file "nv_disp.inf" in a text editor. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\...\169.21
    7. Scroll down to the section [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings], add the following line there, replacing the "XX" values below with the 4 values noted in step 3:

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, XX,XX,XX,XX,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

(In my case the TV code was SYN 0043, the four values being: 4F,2E,43,00 )

4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot
    5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers, this is in C:\NVIDIA\...\177.41. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

Reboot, and you should have GLORIOUS AUDIO!!!

Source HERE

Should also add that i had to go to advanced display and unselect 'hides modes that this monitor cannot display' this restored all the features of the nvidia control panel