Audio help HTPC

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by MaliceX, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MaliceX

MaliceX Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512 Alpha Dog
    Hey, I'm working on integrating my gaming PC into my Home theater atm.

I've already got it worked out so I'll have my DVI-HDMI from my 8800GT to the HDTV, but I have a problem getting my 7.1 surround sound on my HDTV to hook up with my PC.

My soundcard supports 7.1 Audio, but doesn't have an optical jack. The only source for 7.1 SS my Receiver has is an optical input.

This is my video card:
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index....0000&manufacture=Creative Labs#Specifications

Is there any way to get some sort of convertor/adapater from the standard jack audio to an optical audio? This way I can use my surround sound.

Thanks!

2. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    what kind of receiver are you using...it might have analog inputs which you could use, decoding done on the soundcard and just fed to the receiver. or if you want to use optical going to have to buy a new soundcard, with optical out

3. MaliceX

MaliceX Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512 Alpha Dog
  4. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    well it looks like it doesn't have analog input to go straight from the sound card, so your best bet would be to buy a new sound card with an optical out on it. Dont have to get an expensive one since the sound will be going out through the optical output and its just pass through and the receiver will decode everything.