Unsure about htpc components, some advice?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by acon, Jun 25, 2008.

1. acon

acon Member Guru

GPU:
    eVga/8800gts/512
    Hey guys, i´m building an htpc. This will be strictly music and video, so no games. I´m unsure about the requirements.

Video card: i´m thinking an 8400 will let me handle hd, a similar thread around here confirmed it.

Processor: if i go AMD, i´ve seen x2 4800 for like $70, will it do? or maybe an intel, not sure which to pick. I´m thinking if the video card handles the video the processor doesn´t need to be the fastest.

I´d like a tv tuner card also, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    if you dont plan on doing any gaming, and dont have that video card pick up an amd 780g motherboard it will do everything, decode bluray/hd dvd and the processor will be fine. you will just need a soundcard unless your happy with onboard and a psu and a tv tuner. psu look into modular cable design ones easier to put into a htpc case. and cant help you with the tv tuner dont own one

3. bigflause

bigflause Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9600 GT
    if you are not a gamer and want to go down the amd route i would go for a amd 690 mobo with on board gpu. the gpu is very good for onboard and you can save some money. it will decode hd fine as well.

you could al go with the newer 780 chipset but the 690 is more than enough for a htpc. less heat than an additional gpu as well .

it will fit in an antec fusion as well. they are the best case price and noise wise.

plus you can fit a scythe mini ninja in the and have it completly passive.

www.digital-everywhere.com make the best tv cards.

what country are you in?

4. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    i have an amd 690 board and the onboard graphics card does not cut it for HD material. It can do 720p h264 for bluray/hd dvd and 1080i for mpeg2 and it still stutters a bit. ive tried its what i have in my htpc. you will most definitely need a external video card if you go with a 690, so its better to just get the 780g boards

5. bigflause

bigflause Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9600 GT
    we must have been typing at the same time. lol. mainly same advice. two people can't be wrong. go with the 780. ATi are much better when it comes to video quality.

6. acon

acon Member Guru

GPU:
    eVga/8800gts/512
    Thanks for the advise guys. I was thinking whether an integrated solution would do, think I'll go with the 780. And thanks for the case advise too, i was unsure about that also.

Bigflause, i checked the website, but appears to be europe based, I'll be looking in U.S. Thanks for the thought anyway.

P.S. sorry took a while to respond, the thread went empty for a couple of days and i though nobody would answer.

7. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
  8. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member Guru

GPU:
    Quadro FX 550
  9. acon

acon Member Guru

GPU:
    eVga/8800gts/512
    Thanx for the links guys, that all in wonder looks great!
    Another question, i´ll have the computer and its own set of speaker; is there any way to switch at will to another set of speakers in another room? That way you can watch movies in one room, then set music to play in another room.

I was thinking of placing speakers in several places in the house and being able to decide where to play music from the pc.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  10. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    i would think for watching movies in one room, and playing music in another you will need two soundcards, and have one for dedicated movie output and the other just for music. you will have to set that up with your player to do that