R9 290 Stable Clock Speeds

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by HrodHerich, Apr 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HrodHerich

HrodHerich Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    Hello,

I have an AMD R9 290 card that came with the ref cooler, which I recently replaced it with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV cooler.

I'd like to achieve a a stable 947MHz. What settings should I be using? Is the Catalyst Control software what I should be using to dial in the appropriate fan speed, or should I use a third party solution? Should I leave ubermode enabled, or disabled?

I don't care much for overclocking, although it would be nice, I'd just like to achieve the highest clock speeds without losing stability.

Thanks,
    HrodHerich

2. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Hello! and welcome!
    Congrats on your fan upgrade!
    Have you tried MSI afterburn ? its available in our download section. Its fairly easy to tinker with that tool, start from there :D

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    947MHz? That's a very specific clock speed to want lol

You should be hitting that at stock anyway - most of us are running 1050>1100+ on the core using MSI Afterburner

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Quiet Mode - Switch is in position closest to where you plug in your displays. Fan is at 40% cap.

Uber Mode - Switch is in position furthest away to where you plug in your displays. Fan is at 55% cap.

Does not hurt the card to run either BIOS mode but uber mode is fine.

You do not have to use Catalyst Control software/AMD Overdrive

Since you have installed Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV cooler-use a custom fan profile.

There are several third party solution you can use for custom fan profile and voltage control of VCCD.

Here are a couple that are very good to use with voltage control .200mv and higher for high stable overclocks.

Sapphire Trixx
    Asus GPU Tweak

Most Popular with voltage control as is .100mv for good overclock and fan control and much more
    MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 19

Get the most out of your R9 290 card with tweaking
    RadeonPro BETA (Automating 3D Settings)

You can also run a stable card without any voltage tweaking just fine and not have any throttling at all.

Example would be something like this with MSI after burner.
    [​IMG]

I also own reference card and non reference card both can run
    1200 Core
    1600 Mem
    Which makes these R9 290 cards fast.

5. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I had to use MSI Afterburner to manage my clocks, for whatever reason CCC didn't adjust my fan speeds :\

6. HrodHerich

HrodHerich Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290
    What I meant by that was no throttling, as that is the stock speed, but thank you all for the pointers. And thanks for welcoming me into this awesome resource. I'll post any results or questions later.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Welcome to the forums HrodHerich.

The throttlings a bugger, you have to lock the clocks in Afterburner, doesn't lock at stock clocks, so if 947 is stock, just set it to 948.

In Afterburner, Settings, at the bottom, set the Unofficial Overclocking Mode to 'Without Powerplay Support', then after OK'ing it, just whack the Power Limit slider right up to +50, then the Core Clock slider to 948 (if you don't want to overclock), then just hit Apply for it to go straight to those clocks and lock (so be running full clocks on the desktop), and away you go, just fire up a game, then when yer done playing, just hit Reset in Afterburner to unlock the clocks again, and set them back to their normal idle clocks (2D).

Also, in the Catalyst Control Centre, don't unlock the Overdrive (leave Enable Graphics Overdrive unticked), as it conflicts with Afterburner.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks for the info! I'm able to reach a stable 1100 mhz on the core without volt tweaking.

However, trying to reach 1200 mhz it seems I run out of range with AB +100 mV limit.

Increasing the voltage keeps making things better (less and less artefacts), but even maxed out doesn't quite do it.

I realise I'm already increasing the volts quite a bit but as temps are stable I'm willing to go a bit further still.

BTW, what volts do you need for your OC on the core?

Also, trying to increase the memory freq to 1400 causes an instant BSOD.
    Any remedies there, can the memory voltage be unlocked?
    Should increasing the AUX voltage help? It feeds the memory bus afaik.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Sapphire Trixx will give you +200mV.

Use GPU-Z to see what kind or RAM is on the card, Hynix or Elpida, Hynix being the better of the two.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    CCC won't adjust fan speeds until the GPU core gets to its thermal limits. It is a bit stupid really, it does the same thing on my 7970 base fan speed is 33% and it will stay there no matter when the fan speed is on Auto. Until the GPU core hits around 75C then it ramps up to around 50% to cool the GPU down. This is a trick to save on noise output but it also will shorten the life of the GPU as it will be getting very hot very quickly all the time when gaming. Which is why programs like Afterburner are such a must as they allow you to create custom fan profiles so the fan speed will increase as the GPU temp increases keeping the GPU temps (and VRM's) down to acceptable levels and allowing more overclocks.

12. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    That's good to know, thanks.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It's Hynix, thankfully.

There's something odd going on. I was able to hit even 1600 MHz on the mem stable and artefact free.

However, altering memory freq even by 1 MHz causes a black screen crash more often than not (it wasn't a BSOD but black screen).

Any ideas there, anyone with similar issues? Using latest versions of AB / TriXX.

(I got 1200 MHz core running artefact free in Catzilla with about +150 mV.

However, I can't get it artefact free in FurMark even with +200 mV (and that's definitely my peak volts, VRM temps are +100 degrees).

I don't really care about FurMark stability per se but it too should be without artefacts.)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ follow up FYI:

it seems that the core voltage also affects memory oc'ability for some weird reason...

upping core voltage back to +150 re-enabled the memory oc to 1600.

PS: it also seems I need more voltage for a stable core overclock with 14.6 beta drivers vs. 14.4 WHQL.

15. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Aux voltage can help with overclocking, especially the ram. It's a little hidden in AB, you have to hit the small tab next to the core voltage. Its got a small arrow pointing down on it