Microsoft IllumiRoom preview for next-generation Xbox

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 1, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Looks pretty cool.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    i agree.
    must be expensive part.

4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    if you really have an expensive 3dtv or just quality hdtv or 4ktv, it's far superior than the best projector on the market...

with this, you just improve the gaming experience without sacrificing the quality of a "small" image and expanding the effects...

impressive...me want...!!! if it's working well then pc gaming go r.i.p :) :D

5. mmmm.... hmmm... damn, don't know whether to love it or hate it... keep thinking to myself "how does that necessarily 'immerse' you".. anyways looks a little uber-nerdy, and I thought I was nerdy...

EDIT: Yeah I decided I hate it lol, ugh after re-watching a couple times, I duno.. I think it'd be more distracting an annoying than "immersive" wow MS Marketing throws that word around a lot "immersive" ooo :eek: anyways...blabla, that's my rant.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Won't there be a giant reflection on the tv from the projector? That would drive me beyond crazy.

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    looks like a gimmick to me I wont bother

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    the projector keeps the TV space black/off

9. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I like the concept but I hope that I will be able to mount it onto the ceiling instead of in front of me since I sit about 4-5 feet away from the TV and it wouldn't have the distance needed to cover the wall like in the videos. Plus, I don't have a coffee table in front of my TV. :) I don't see how that would be a problem as it looks to be just a specialized projector, but maybe there is some angle requirement or something. I guess I'll find out in about 6 months.

Yeah, I know it's probably not good to sit that close to the TV. :)

And speaking of PC gaming, I can't wait until somebody mods this to work with PC games and/or movies.

10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    +1 I decided to hate it too whats the point of having a projector to sort off expand the effects of a game.This looks to me more distracting as well rather than immersive might as well just hook up your xbox directly to a projector if you have one and have one hell of a large display now that's what i call immersive ,I know from first hand as i occasionally connect my pc to my 1920x1080p projector with a a maximum display size of about 110 inches it's just looks incredible.Personally i am hoping that some day they will release a Virtual Reality headset to put you in the game!!!!!Now that is what i would call an immersive experience.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No it isn't, not even close. I have a 55XBR-HX929 and it comes no where near my parents VW95E, even after I calibrated it with a colorimeter. Granted maybe the new 4Ktvs are better than the 1080p projects but put them up against this (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPL-VW1000ES-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B0077R5KXG) and forget about it.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...I see nothing good about this, all it is, is a blurry, annoying, attention grabber

13. Ikr, didn't John Carmack have something he was working on a while back? You'd think they could take some kind of tech like that and even shrink it down a little. Like virtual reality glasses that weren't too massive... I mean with all the nano tech out these days why don't they put more R&D into that rather than projection? The whole projector thing just seems really substandard to me. People might as well just go for surround setups or eye infinity if they're really looking for the closest thing to full immersion atm. Too bad you don't see consoles coming out with nv surround support or ati eyeinfinity support, would require beefier hardware but at least that'd be a good thing. I just don't understand Microsoft or Sony atm, I'm confused with the underwhelming specs of the upcoming generation of consoles for one...but that's another thread anyways, yeh the projector idea is a ploy, someone somewhere at HQ got high and said to R&D "how do we make some more money; cough cough, oh I got it, projectors man.... " "dude that's retarted..." "Nah bro, ppl will love it, it'll 'immerse' you *cough cough*" anyways... yeh gonna pass on this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

Looks promising. Lots of developer support and a inventor with a passion for a good product. Obviously it's not full virtual reality, but it's a great start.

15. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Guest

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    Gimmick. It would only be worth while on a wall mounted TV with NO surrounding furniture.

16. wow, damn good read, had no idea Tim Sweeney had endorsed it. Yeah that'll be something interesting to see when it comes out. Honestly, that's the kind of thing I want to see MS investing in if they're looking to "immerse" players in the interactive experience. Not cover my goddamn living room in virtual snow ???? anyways.

17. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    +1
    That was great article i didn't know at all or even heard of the Oculus Rift project.Now that is something for MS worth investing in and not only MS other large companies too plus Universities should receive funding from these companies to fully research and expand this technology even further.Ever since watching The Lawnmower Man movie in 1992 i have been dreaming for the day to come for such a technology to be released for the consumer.Virtual Reality should be the way of the future of games,and at the current rate that computers,cpu's and gpu's are advancing i believe that in the next lets say 5 years or so pc components will be powerfull enough to give us a fully life like Virtual Reality experience for us the consumers "Now that is what i would call an immersive experience"......
    Just imagine playing Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infintie with a VR headset putting you into the game and being able to look around and interact with the environment using head and body movements.....