Core i7 3820 processor review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the Core i7 3820 processor. The chip features four computing cores with Hyper-Threading support working at 3.6GHz 3.8 GHz max Turbo 10MB of Level 3 cache memory a quad-channel memory controller...

More...

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh damn.

3. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Great review, Hilbert. Thanks.

Looks like a great processor. I am in the market. I wish there was a comparison between this one and the 2700K. Hard to decide which one to take.

4. AdeelEjaz

AdeelEjaz Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 6890 1GB BE
    Forget the review, what bench is that!? I want one! And anyone looking to get mint condition Antec Skeleton or SilverStone Raven (Original) start looking at eBay! I'm replacing them with this! :banana:

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you not running heavy cpu based software >>>
    grab 2500k, safe money and be happy.

Looks like a waste of moneys to me. Overclock 2600k and knock out the doors of top cpus, even for heavy cpu calculations.

6. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Impressive. But, i'm gonna wait, maybe, just maybe Piledriver is gonna be at least as good as the 2600k at stock speeds.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    With Ivy just around the corner I'd wait for that TBH.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    If you not going 6c/12t why bother with 2011 socket?

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Exactly what i was thinking.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I agree. if I bought an x79 m/b I would pair it with a 6 core. the quad channel memory is lackluster even compared to dual channel 1155

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

the overclocking leaves a lot of questions unanswered, which let's be honest means a lot to most of us. Still seeing the memory hit 50 GB/s in sandra was pretty cool :nerd:

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice processor, great speed and nice feature set, however the quad channel is a disappointment.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Personally I think the 3820 is one of intels least marketable products. Nothing going for it except quad channel which is of limited benefit outside of mem bandwidth benchmarks. Less OC'ability than regular SB, and IB just around the corner which will relegate it to insignificance in no time. Sadly people may go for it just to have an SB-E chip in their sig.

14. While I agree with most of you saying this is a waste of money - I can kind of see why someone would go with this processor and x79 combo...

Only one circumstance comes to mind as to why I would buy this combo and that is :

a) I'd have to be in dire need of a new pc right now and cannot afford to wait any longer.

b) I'd have to want in the long run to own a hexa/octa core ivybridge-e which is ideally what i'd be waiting for - but for whatever reason I need a new set up right now.

The 3820 although lackluster in OC (however in some cases is overclocking to 5ghzish) and only being quadcore + HT - it is a very affordable CPU. It means that those who really do want to have the 6 core + ivy-e but can't wait that long - they can grab this cheap cpu for the time being but rather than buying a 25/6/700k + 1155 and having no forseeable future of gaining any cores (so far there is no plans of anything more than 4 cores, 8 threads ) I can see this processor being handy...yes its kind of throwing your money away rather than just waiting...but if you want the top tier platform and simply cannot wait long enough for ivy-e..this processor does fill that void rather than grabbing a 26/7k and 1155 just to sell that rig and upgrade to X79 and ivybridge-e because it will have the higher core/thread count - if thats what you ideally are wanting...know what I mean?

I happen to be in the market for a new PC, but for what I want I don't see any need for more than the 3770K quadcore w/ HT. Luckily I can wait for at least ivybridge to release - and besides after seeing that engineering sample cranking 5ghz at just 1.27v...when compared to my current system that 3770k is just gunna open up a whole new world.

thats my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  15. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    Yeah something like that, i'll be ready for IB-e (8core) when it comes sometime next year, until then im gonna enjoy lga2011 goodness. :p

I mean 2600k or 2700k for ~ 300€ vs 280€ for this 3820 is a no brainer, the only thing that's a bit expensive is x79 chipset, but still nothing scary.. Im not regretting this one bit. :)

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    What do all these lines at each processor in the performance graphs of games mean? :s
    fps @ Different resolutions? What resolutions? I can't see it.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Bah...looks like I can skip this generation too.:)