Free Firewalls working in Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by BarryB, Sep 22, 2013.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Since the release of Windows 8.1 RTM a few of my regular programs have stopped working, one being Comodo Free Firewall as Windows 8.1 will not allow it to install.

Tried the following free Firewalls and found them to be incompatible with Windows 8.1:

Comodo Firewall Free
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2013 (Lets you install in Windows 8.1 then complains when it runs)
    Agnitum Outpost Free

Currently found the Free version of Online Armor to be compatible as it's installed and running without any obvious issues so far.

Anyone else running a free firewall under Windows 8.1?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, the Windows firewall is more than enough

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Windows 7 firewall Control. They need to rename it... But it works with Windows 8.1

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

The free version can be used in conjunction with the built in Windows firewall. I use the paid version, and have Windows firewall switched off, as this is much more powerful.

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Comodo works "perfectly"

you only have to change the exe name of the installer, then also change the exe name of "cis.exe" to "cis2.exe" and "cistray.exe" and "cistray2.exe" and use "mklink cis.exe cis2.exe" and "mklink cistray.exe cistray2.exe" <-- or the other way around

Also maybe (idk if totally needed):
    Run regedit, go to this value
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
    On the right side you will see MaxNumFilters REG_DWORD change it's value from 1 to 8. Reboot your machine and then install Comodo internet security and if you already did , Do it again.

If you don't have the above DWORD, you can simple create a new one by right click selecting New \ DWORD name it MaxNumFilters and change it's value to 8.

There's also a unofficial comodo 6.3 which works out of the box, but i prefer the previous one, looks safer

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I believe Windows Firewall blocks all incoming connections by default unless it's in the firewall rule and allows all outgoing connections by default unless you specifically make a rule, so any spyware can 'phone home' and Windows Firewall won't alert you. Had this issue before even when the 'Notify me' option was ticked I never got notified? I know it's a powerful firewall but it's not very user-friendly. Online Armor is notifying me about outbound connections just like Comodo did, if Windows Firewall did that I'd probably stick with that.

Windows 7 firewall Control is a bit of a misnomer as it's compatible with XP up to 8.1, not just 7 and there is a free version :)

So far these FREE firewalls are compatible with Windows 8.1:

Windows 7 Firewall Control
    Online Armor Free

@Black_ice_Spain: Read about that on the Comodo forums and decided not to bother, if you have to start circumventing compatibility checks to get programs installed you might run into unknown issues. Better to wait for a compatible BETA or Final Release of Comodo Firewall.

You could also check if your program is compatible at the Windows Compatibility Center: http://windows.com/compatibility

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Windows 7 Firewall Control blocks everything you could think of. Not too sure on the free version but the paid for version is the best software firewall you can buy.

7. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    It's free versions I'm interested in, the link to W7FC shows the comparison of all versions, free just gets application firewall, block notifications and IPv6 support.

The free version of Online Armor has quite a bit more available, not just firewall: Web Shield, Keylogger Detection, Host file modification and Program Control.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It all depends on what you are looking for I guess. Things like web shield and keylogger stuff is hit or miss. If you have big selection of applications all with different rule sets. You would spot any unusual internet activity when it tried to get passed the firewall.

It's also worth remembering that the free version of W7FC is used along side the Windows firewall, both of them running.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  9. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Also depends if you want to pay! With more software being 'rent' than 'buy' nowadays you never feel you own it as you have to pay yearly subs to keep using it, particularly for definitions if you have a paid Anti-Virus.

At least W7FC has a 'perpetual licence', but does that cover new versions?

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If they bring out a major new version you have to pay for it. For example you have 5.0, and 6.1 is release you would have to buy it, but you also get a 20% discount if you have a paid for previous version. If they bring out a version that is 5.1 or 5.2 then you would get that free. Once you buy a version it's perfectly fine, and you don't really need to upgrade unless you really like something they included in a later release.

11. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    That follows most companies upgrade policies, free upgrades within same version but pay for next major version.

Also found Jetico Personal Firewall (Paid) is Windows 8.1 compatible.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    There is a beta version of Windows 8 Firewall control, which will probably be out soon. If you were to buy, it would be better to wait till this was released.

13. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Their forum has pre-release versions of 6.0.7.43 including the free x86/x64 versions so might try the free x64 version in an Windows 8.1 Hyper-V.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If you have any questions, PM me.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    IF I need something more than the included Windows Firewall, I install TinyWall. It's not actually a firewall, but provides better control over the built-in Windows firewall. It provides inbound and outbound control as well as alerts.

According to what I've read from several security vendors, they're not actually permitted to disable the Windows Firewall in Win8, but instead they simply provide a UI for controlling the Windows Firewall.

16. grufferator

grufferator Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD7850 1G
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Windows 8 (6.1) Firewall control has been released now.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't get why you don't just use Windows Firewall? Compared to Windows XP's useless firewall, Windows Firewall from Vista onwards actually work a lot better. In some cases, even better than Linux's iptables.

deltatux

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I don't like the layout and how it works. Sometimes it doesn't show a pop up for a new application straight away. You can also be playing a game and the pop up for allowing the application will be showing in the background, not blocking anything. Personal choice I guess, but for me WFC blocks all outgoing traffic, and gives an instant pop-up. Which I like a lot.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  20. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    New comodo 6.3 is out support win 8.1