Disabling sleep mode on surround system

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Extraordinary, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I bought this little 5.1 surround setup, great little thing, audio sounds nice for the price, but it has a really annoying 'feature', if you don't play any audio for X length of time, I think it's around 20-30 mins, it goes to sleep

Fine, power saving, great, except it doesn't wake back up again with normal audio, I have to increase the PC volume to over 40% and continuously click the volume slider until the stupid thing realises I'm playing audio and wakes up, which can take about 10-15 seconds of clicking before it hears it and starts playing audio again

Anyone know if there is something inside I can kill / bypass, to stop it going to sleep?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1073878.htm

2. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I have this set, mine doesn't go into any sleep mode that I'm aware of. How is it hooked up to your system?

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    5.1 jacks directly into the ports of the onboard soundcard of the PC

Takes around 30 mins of no audio at all being played, and the power light on the main speaker dims when it goes into power saving

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Didn't come out as well as I hoped on camera, you can really see the difference with your eyes

Sleep mode - Dim light

[​IMG]

After waking it up - Bright light

[​IMG]

5. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Might have been a hardware revision by Logitech, I've left mine for hours on end with no audio output and it doesn't turn off. :/

The manual doesn't state anything about a sleep mode either.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The manual... lol, where did I sling that again...

7. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I would try to get a replacement sub-woofer, yours could possibly be defective. You should probably return it for replacement. There are some individuals on eBay that are selling replacements, search for Z506 subwoofer.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I`ll have to dig out the receipt and see if it's still under warranty, I think it's under a year old

But if I'm honest, I'll probably just put up with it until I can afford a better one (With longer speaker cables)

If it was something simple like bypassing some component I would have given it a shot

Not really keen on the design either, having a really thick and not very flexible mains cable on the main speaker is a PITA to position and have it stay there, and the side speaker cables are far too short, it's as if they think everyone lives in a 6x6 box room

The audio quality is good for the price of it, but that's about all it's got going for it tbh

Meh, thanks for the help anyway, I`ll leave it for now and start window shopping for a new setup

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just out of interest (Not messing about with mine any more) I found these with very similar problems

This one is the same issue as mine, but he hasn't worked out that you can also get it to wake up by increasing the PC volume too (Turning it off and on again works with mine also)

And this one the power light blinks rather than staying dim like mine, but again, increasing the source volume fixes it (As you can hear he's done by the distortion once it starts)

2 Year warranty some of the comments state... tempting, might get a better model for RMA

10. zaxtron

zaxtron Guest

GPU:
    ffffffff
    I have the same problem, looking for a hack to deisable stand by mode.
    Any progress with yours?
    Regards