What were they like?

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Nagasaki, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    WHat were these 3dfx cards like? I can remember when they was still about.. why did thay die out?

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    They were great. Offered high performance.
    Their death... well a lot of things. Bad decisions, bad management, didn't get the new tech one when they should....
    For example they didn't have32bit color when the rest started pushing it. Or hardware T&L.
    It is said that the share holders decided to sell the company just 3 days before the engineers could present their new card
    which was supposed to be the company's saver

3. Fluxeor

Fluxeor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-270X Toxic
    The 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 cards were absolute monsters performance wise when they were "released" (around 1000 test models were ever made), they were still doing well when the GeForce 3 came out (beating it in some cases), but obviously without any official driver support. Shame though that they were (and still are) almost impossible to get hold of.

4. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    Wow, I've stumbled on a flashback if ever here!

I remember coming home on the bus with my brand new 12Mb Voodoo2 the week they came like a dog with two tails lol

Highest I remember having it clocked with no cooling was 105Mhz in a PII-400 based system, Quake2 @ 100+fps :banana:
    Never ran it SLi but ended up with a Voodoo3 which enjoyed a short while under the spotlight

If that's true what you say Glideman about the company 3 days before the release of a new card it's a shame, I think there was a bit of competition from the GeForce (1?) card either at the time or soon after that time period?. The GeForce 2 was a very popular card!!

I still have my V2, box it came in, driver disc and the game :), I'd have to check but I'm sure it was Formula 1 97?

Good to know there are still folks out there who remember those GPUs, the first of our 3D gaming really

Regards, Esskie

5. Fluxeor

Fluxeor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-270X Toxic
    I remember one of the caps falling off my V3 2000 pci (which i still have somewhere.. and one of the Matrox M3D Power VR based cards) .. and the card still functioned perfectly for 6 months after that point until i replaced it with a Geforce 2.

6. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    exact same thing happened to my XFX 128Mb Ti-4600 while I was messing about taking HDDs in & out

I still have the capacitor, even know exactly where it goes but the legs are way too short now to solder back. I've often thought a new cap (few pennies) & soldering it back on but have never bothered.

I don't do any gaming on any systems with an AGP slot so no incentive to bother?, suppose it would be cool just to have it there working?

Never had any of the Matrox cards, the 550 was ok in it's day, was it the G550?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i had the V3 and V5500.
    anyone remember banshee?
    i think they wouldve died out even if shareholders didnt sell

the Matrox Parhelia was technically a monster on paper but didnt fair as well in many games performance wise, but their reef demo was pretty amazing.
    512bit gpu and 16x per pixel AA...that was amazing for its time. it just wasnt clocked high enough to beat the geforce 4 performance wise but beat it visually wise.

8. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

They should just stayed a chip manufacture buying STB was one of their bad moves in the graphics market.

Banshee was an awesome card I had the Diamond Monster Fusion reference card. Still have it and it still works even after overclocking in the day :D

9. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    I still have a pair of Orchid 12mb Voodoo 2's lurking about somewhere in the shed... Wow, that was a revelation to be able to play Unreal in 1024x768 and see those shiny surfaces for the first time! Amazing.... from what I remember they cost 200GB Pounds each at the time too, which was a very big chunk out of my wages!

10. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB

I very much miss when cards like these were top of the line.

I remember playing Theif on my TnT2 Pro and being amazed.

Haha :nerd:

11. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Aye, look at us, all nostalgic about defunct computer bits... we must be getting old!

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I had Voodo 2 + Voodo Banshee ( one was acceleretor , or something like that oO, i didnt know much about tech there, i was a kid -.-, it was like SLI now i think ;o ) i remmber it was extremaly fast compared to Riva that time.
    Also i was runnig AMD CPU , it was K6-2 450Mhz, it was possible to OC it to 550Mhz. (correct me here:p).
    My friends were laugting at me because of that CPU:p.

Games i played that time :

Driver, Heroes 3, C&C Tiberian Sun, Age of Empires 1/2!!
    And Red Alert 1. Alot more but i remmber these were very good. (ofc i played alot older games but these i remmber running on Voodo card).

And hey guys! Do you remmber that 3D logo before you lounched game ? this : 3DFx Logo spining ! :D.

13. Mr.StanleyDudek

Mr.StanleyDudek Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 3870 X2 1GB
  14. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Oh my the memories... sniff!

What a bloody shame... glide was soooo cool really and things would surely be cheaper if there were three players fighting in the ring, ho hum.

I remember the last drivers (dx7) for the voodoo that had to be "hacked" for them to work on the Athlon processors of the day.... when they were king too!

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I don't want to be a party pooper but Voodoo cards were hardly keeping up with GeForce 2 GTS cards. With only advantage of slightly better performance at very high resolutions and better FSAA algorithm.
    When GeForce 3 came out it was pretty much all over for 3dfx...
    that was also the point where ATI took over with Radeon 8000 series and pixel shader era started...

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Yea but 3Dfx spining logo > GTX280/HD4870X2 imo XD.

17. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS

Hell yeah! Showing it every time you start a glide enabled game.

18. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I remember playing UT99 on my Voodoo Banshee, that was heaven, Glide was amazing (in terms of performance and image quality) :D

Shame I lost that copy of UT GOTY Edition though, got the Unreal Anthology version now and I miss the high-res (S3TC) textures :(

19. -=GQ=-

-=GQ=- Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260 @ 722/1485/1220
    Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro AGP/Voodoo 3 3000 AGP/Voodoo 5 5500 AGP/GeForce 3/GeForce 4 Ti4600/ATI 9800XT/nV 6800GT/nV 6800GT SLI/nV 7900GTX/nV 7900GTX/nV 8800GTX OC2

That's a list, in order, of all the cards I've had, and nothing was more exciting than the first time I fired up the Voodoo 3 3000.

RIP V3 3000, you will never be forgotten. :(

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    didnt nvidia buy out 3dfx?