Xbox One S

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 14, 2017.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I also love the fact it has a 4K player in it, while a standalone 4k player sells for almost twice the price of a xbox one lol.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Yeap, and even better it now supports Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through and Dolby Atmos straight to your audio equipment, took some time but at last it is here, audio aficionados should be very happy indeed.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have the Xbox connected to a Samsung UN49KU6500. I had to contact Samsung directly and was told that it's using a 10-bit panel.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    6000 series use a 8 bit panel, they always lie lol, LG told me their cheaper TV's have 10bit as well but it's 8bit+FRC.

But they CAN produce 10bit color very accurately though but you have to put a true 10bit panel to see if theres a big difference.

EDIT: Quote from a review:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Have you tried any HDR games yet, if you don't have any World of Tanks supports HDR and is free, let us know what you think of HDR, oh and if you have not done already i suggest finding a calabration video on YT for your Tv, it will be well worth it to have it properly calibrated, assuming you have not done so already.

Welcome to the dark side, well more light side as it is HDR. ;)

Oh and no matter if it is 8 or full 10 bit, you will still experience HDR on a 8 bit panel, obviously a 10 bit panel gives you the full gamut but at the moment the price gap between a 8 and 10 bit tv is just not worth the difference, and a well calabrated tv will go some way to shortening that gap.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Really? Have to try world of tanks then tonight as i havent tested hdr content.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have not played any hdr games yet. As for calibration, the tv looks damn good out of the box. So I'm not going to mess with the settings just yet. The only thing I did was enable hdr on the tv and change the color bit depth on the Xbox.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Dont be afraid to do it, look up a professional review of these same model and size.

Mine looks incredible after calibration, usually i change backlight and Color tone to my own liking.
    They always pick warmth2 wich i dislike, gives a yellowish tint.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'll calibrate it eventually. also, if you havent done so, you need to go into your xbox video settings and click on 4k tv details and make sure you have the green check marks like what's in the photo below. sorry for the potato. i took a picture of what was on the my tv screen.

[​IMG]

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    That's great that it says it supports 10bit!

Sadly went for a PS4, i'm more interested in a console with better exclusives that appeal to me.

Not a fan of Halo or Gears, i have GOW4 on PC and it didn't really appeal to me.
    I did love Halo where you play as a normal guy instead of Master Chief, i don't remember wich game that was.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    If i remember correctly a new certified standard for 4k HDR Tv's that were full 10bit had been introduced back at the beginning of 2016, if the TV states Ultra HD Premium then it is guaranteed a 10bit tv panel, and if not then it is a 8 bit panel, but as i said, the cost of a full 10 bit panel at this time vastly outweighs the cost difference from a 4k 8 bit panel and what you are getting, some of which can be made up with proper calibration of the TV, so as of now, unless you are a rich oil baron or suffer from really bad OCD, a 4k 8 bit with HDR and no input lag is the way to go. ;)

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I saw a review online of my TV and it said HDR Premium on the box, but it is 8bit.

I just tried World of Tanks last night, the difference was nigh and day but the jaggies ruined it a bit lol.

Colors and shadow looked realistic and not with crushed blacks.

I can't tell when i playback HDR on Netflix and if it works or not it doesn't give me the message that a HDR video is being displayed.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^How are you playing back netflix the HDR message should pop up, now i think when i tried this on my TV itself through the netflix app the HDR did not work, it only worked through the XBox slim.

But yeah, 8 bit does offer a very nice taste of HDR, there is also the Forza Horizon 3 demo if want to see how that looks in HDR, plus check your sharpness settings on your TV, might be too high.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I could try it through the PS4 as well, but it will be 1080p and will HDR even work at 1080p?

It does show HDR in the App on my TV, and Amazon Video has no problem and displays "HDR is being used in this video" message in the top left corner.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I know when you drop the slim to 1080p the HDR option becomes unavailable, do not know abou the pS4 though.

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    You're right, it doesn't show HDR on the PS4, shame. :(

Cause i can't get an answer anywhere why my TV doesn't activate HDR on Netflix, it's driving me nuts.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Are the programs you are streaming 4k/hdr, if it is working in games it shoukd work on films and tv show that have it, although at present on the uk netflix that is really small.

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    I mainly wanted to rewatch Marco Polo S2 with HDR enabled.

I chatted with Netflix US last night, even though i'm from the Netherlands they could help me.
    They told me Marco Polo was streaming at HDR on my TV, they could see it from there.

I did notice my settings change to have the best HDR experience, so i guess it does work.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Next time you watch something in HDR bring up the picture menu as it is playing and it should shiow everything as a HDR menu instead of the standard movie, game, night day notmal menu, that way you will know for sure that HDR is working. ;)

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    GTA IV and all content now BC on the XB1. :D