Final Fantasy X/X2 HD remakes now out for Vita & PS3

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by (.)(.), Mar 22, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cross-play for save games, though no cross-buy which is enough to make me wait for a sale.

Frame rates look great across both the Vita and PS3.

Some gameplay of the Vita version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k_wepDq88f8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q1O6jjZDsaE

Some of the PS3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFc6FBYdF6E&feature=player_detailpage

If you dont own a Vita, you no longer have an excuse. There are pah-lenty of games out for this nifty device, so go and get one today.... along with a wiiu

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Although I feel like pointing out that (after just completing uncharted golden abyss this week), that uncharted is not a reason to get a vita, it is pretty bad, forced motion and touch controls for no apparent reason (sequence breaking and near the end of the game, ridiculously hard and forced) and a totally nonsensical story with a ridiculous conclusion (for uncharted standards). Combat wise it starts crap, picks up a bit, but is just so repetitive it gets bland fast.

Gravity Rush, Tearaway and LPB sure. Just got Danganronpa as well. Have Soul Sacrifice on PS+ as well.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I like the uncharted for vita lol. Wipeout is really fun too though it has some framerate and loading issues.

I'll be picking this up for my vita, haven't touched it in months, it needs some attention. My handheld gaming needs have been strictly on the iPhone 5 as of late ever since I picked up a Logitech moga controller.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I want to get a Vita just for this game. And the motion blur could be better on the PS3 it does not look smooth at times and gets a odd bloom effect. The main characters have been done really well, but the other characters look a bit bad.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I bought FFX/FFX-2 for both my PS3 and PS Vita. Now I confess that I had played the PS2 version many, many years ago when it first came out but I stopped playing when I got to a stretch of the game - a long road to a boss fight where you get pushed over a cliff - where there was a long gap between save points. I kept repeatedly dying before reaching the save point leading to much frustration and I eventually gave up playing the game. On reflection, I did not understand the Sphere system or the need to regularly swap out characters during battles depending on the enemies you're facing. For example, those large tough-armoured rhino/tricerotop-type enemies cannot attack Yuna's flying Aeon so if I face two of those then I swap to her and summon the Aeon. [​IMG]

I have now played both the PS Vita and PS3 versions to the same point about 8 hours or so in and I'm well past where I previously got to and I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. I did initially start using the Cross Save feature but then I found I wanted to see what the remastered HD looked like in both games so I played them both to the same point separately. On the PS3 version I ended up winning the Blitzball competition and even manage not to mess up the Sphere upgrades so I've now used the Cross Play feature to continue the game on the PS Vita during my lunch hour at work.

I think the remaster is superb personanlly even if the game clearly looks dated (especially the ironed on faces and hands of the NPCs who sadly have not had the same care taken with them as the main characters). The art work is lovely though and I actually think the game looks gorgeous on the small 5" PS Vita screen and suits it more. The colours are just beautiful with lots of lush yellows, blues, reds and greens that really stand out on the OLED screen. The PS3 version has better textures overall but on a large screen HDTV the aliasing is more noticeable, those low-poly NPCs standout far more and I've even had a couple of audio hiccups and 2-3 second black screens between engine and FMV cutscenes which I've not encountered on the PS Vita.

I'm glad I bought both though as this is a damn mighty fine RPG (read: superb) and one that I'm glad I've finally got to grips with enough to actually play much further into the game (I'm at the Temple of Djose after the epic confrontation with Sin and a tough but fair battle (sorry battles since you fight twice in succession) against the boss there. Loving the story and characters. Even Tidus' voice-acting doesn't bother me as much as some. Highly recommended, especially on the Vita where I would say this game is by far the best RPG on the system (yes, better even than Persona 4 Golden).

P.S. FFX-2 is sadly a download only and requires around 3.5 GB of storage space.

P.P.S. I'm not generally a fan of random battles as I much prefer to be able to see the enemies I'm facing, especially as you then have no control over whether enemies launch pre-emptive strikes or not. However, I can forgive them here on the basis of the game's age and, more importantly, its quality.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Who is using the expert sphere grid? I'm finding it much more rewarding to use. You have to plan out your moves a lot more.

7. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I am. Always preferred the expert sphere grid to the normal. We never received the better version of the game. International/PAL version of the game had more things (as well as the expert sphere grid). I'm just glad they based the HD remake off the International/PAL versions.

Is it bad that I've had the game since launch and I've only played about 30 minutes of it? I was so excited for the FFX HD version but when it got here I wasn't in the mood for an RPG...now it's just sitting in my PS3.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks for the feedback all. Ill be grabbing the vita version on payday and it looks like ill ne giving the expert shpere grid ago.

Cheers for the indepth post Darren.

ahh cant wait. Still trying to get through Legend of Dragoon.

What does everyone think of the latest vita update. Feels real snappy all over, they also added voice messaging and a calender app that (not a requirement) can be synced with your google account.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I just tried playing some infamous from a friends house on my vita with the remote play option. I wasn't aware it worked. I was under the impression the ps4 and vita had to be on the same home network for it to work but there I was at my buddies showing off infamous on my vita. Made me fall in love with this hardware all over again.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wish our internet in Mew Zealand was better, as it is currently remote play only works on home network.

Actually now i think about it, i have never tried it on a friends home network only on free wifi like Mcdonalds so that was probably the issue.

Whats it like performamce wise? is it laggy and does the rez get drop to something really low or dpes it run at vitas native rez?

Cant wait to get FFX. I think it would awesome if they bought The Last remnant to the vita also or even andriod and iOS

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Tried to get this in town after hearing of the 23gb download, sold out, what, only one store selling it.

Got it online for marginally more, download and install took a long time, 3 hours or somesuch.

And then I spent the next hour and a half trying to find a save file with all the al bhed primers, finally got it (want to see those bits of missed story).

Looks sort of nice though.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It was very pixelated and choppy at my friends house. At work where we have fiber it ran fluidly and there was no noticeable loss in visual quality. Really impressive.

I just picked up FFX yesterday, looking forward to running through it. I agree Last Remnant on vita would be a blast. That was a great game that was really overlooked by many.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It appears there is no cross save with the PS counterparts. This is a disheartening oversight on Squares part.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Not officially but I have seen people on the steam forums converting their ps2 and ps3 save files