New phone, anything better then LG G2 Mini?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by signex, Aug 28, 2014.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I might get a new phone cause atm i don't have one anymore.

My budget is 200 euro tops.

So far i think LG G2 Mini is my best option, cause it has a nice IPS display but the resolution is not that high as i like high res phones.

Other then that, i've been looking at Sony Xperia SP and M2.

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    Xperia SP is a nice phone (I have one) but its about to run out of its support period and no-ones sure whether itll get official kitkat or not (probably not). There are however lots of good locked bootloader ROMs available for it for KitKat on XDA (CM11, PA, PAC) if you dont mind flashing custom stuff. Great screen, good processor and graphics and decent battery.

The M2 I believe has kitkat but is quite a bit lower spec than the SP.

No idea on the LG.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    SP is pretty old now. Checked out the Z1 Compact?

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    It's way out of my budget, else i would picked it. :(

5. Vardant

Vardant Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Do i have to order it outside Holland?

It seems pretty awesome phone, and the specs are pretty good for the price.

7. iPp

iPp Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290 PCS+
    I own it and I wouldn't recommend it. Camera quality is worse than on my S3, horrible LED bleed and the phone gets scratches from absolutely anything that comes in contact with it. Audio is pretty mediocre and low. The only good thing about the phone is the chipset they've used but there are maybe 2-3 games that can use it to its full potential. Also, the bloatware that comes preinstalled is INSANE. RAM usage is 1.3/1.8GB after cold boot.

You can check out the Xiaomi Mi3, Redmi Note, Nexus 4, Xperia ZR and Huawei Ascend P6, Asus Zenfone 5 (2GB RAM model). They're all better that the G2 mini performance wise and cost below 250E.

8. Vardant

Vardant Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I'm not sure if some local distributors carry it in your country, you'd have to look. The price is likely going to be a little bit higher though.

Otherwise, you can always order it directly from Etotalk. They're pretty good. I've bought 5 phones from them and so far, had no problem.

9. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I got a SP for my mom, there was almost no bloatware. I think it depends on the region however, mine was from Sony US.

I would suggest the OP take a look at the Z1/Z1c as it has come down in price drastically and can be seen all over the place for 360~400$ USD (depending on region and taxes). The original Z is also around 300-330$ USD. I understand that's a stretch from 200 Euros (~260$?) but they are a good upgrade over the listed alternatives. On the Xiaomi phones, its REALLY HARD getting one because they sell out almost instantly. One of my friends tried to order one and gave up after it took months for them to fulfill the order.

You should ideally compare the midrange phones you listed against last generations flagships in a store (S4 are to be had around $400 mark). The differences between them are sometimes worth the money, but that is up to you if you want or need the better camera, screen, and/or SOC.

10. iPp

iPp Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290 PCS+
    I was talking about the Z1C. Horrible phone to use imo, I'm glad i got rid of it.

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    The scratching is on all pre Z2 Sony phones due to the anti shatter film. Either take it off if its scratched or put a screen protector on them.

Camera quality should be miles better than the S3. Unless you had a defective unit, it should be very competitive with even the latest flagships. My friend has a Z1 and it takes pretty nice photos if you know what you are doing, the camera unit on the Z1C is exactly the same (and the Z2 as well). Auto will always boost ISO up so you'll get noisy, but blur free photos. I own the original Z and even with its inferior optics, it still takes nice photos if you know how to dial in your settings. This is with comparison to my roommates S4, N5, and iP5, so I do see and compare relevant phones.

Audio wise, yeah, up until the Z2, Xperias have pretty terrible sound volume with mediocre quality.

What LED bleed are you talking about? The screen? If it is that, get it replaced, its a defect. If you are talking about the LED flash on the back of the phone, it doesn't really affect much other than aesthetics.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Some Z1 Compacts had this issue:
    [​IMG]

Z3 Compact is coming out soon so I would avoid Z1 Compact.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  13. iPp

iPp Active Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 290 PCS+
    The camera may be the same hardware-wise (although the z1c's has a slightly inferior cpu) but it's software limited to f2.3 aperture instead of f2.0.
    I know what i'm doing, i'm into photography, and while the z1c takes some above-average photos in perfect light conditions **** starts to hit the fan when you're shooting indoors. Even when it's completely static it loses almost all fine detail and fringing starts to appear all over the place. As for the protector or taking the anti-shatter film - I bought a phone so I CAN USE IT not just look at it or buy other stuff so it doesn't scratch when it comes in contact with air, none of my phones had this issue so far, even my 4S. I'm happy with my M8 at the moment (except for the camera, it's way worse but i got used to carry my alpha a7 everywhere) but I really don't find any use for a phone this powerful atm so I'm probably going back to my ATIV S, which feels superb in my hand, until a proper x86 phone comes out.
    Back on topic - I would try really hard to find an Mi3, it's totally worth it and blows everything away at it's price point.

14. mcborge

mcborge Guest

GPU:
    asus gtx 660ti direct cu2
    hey signex if your after a cheap phone that has a lot of features have a look at the prestigio multiphone duo`s i have a duo 5300 its quad core dual sim micro sd slot and a large screen android 4.1.2 (i think their latest models have kit kat) it cost me 180 pounds (unlocked for all networks) from maplins.

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Nokia Lumia 635 isnt a bad one either.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    New Moto G is still only running a Snapdragon 400 at 720p, but that 5.5" screen is nice.

18. parabellum

parabellum Guest

GPU:
    fireGL5700
    Hoi Signex,

i recently got a g2 mini and am totally happy with it. OS totally surprised me; its not bloated and super fast and more then enough space for anything . ANd i inserted a 32 gb microSD.
    My only fear was that the screen resolution was a tad low.
    I can say its one of the clearest , sharpest screens if ever come acros. Deep blacks, super viewing angles. They chose the perfect resolution and goes well with the Soc!
    Quad core 400 is super fast and super battery friendly.
    Solid built quality. Sharp Camera.
    Battery life is way better then moto g and other s400 stuff , the s4 mini etc, seems in the reviews (look at notebookcheck and gsmarena)
    and that was the main reason i bought this Phone.
    Its soc is super power officient . battery is huge and can be taken out.
    If you want you can PM me i am from holland! bye