New pc probamatic.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by tsunami231, Aug 26, 2014.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MB
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEBLET101SATSFY

RAM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEBLET101SATSFY

CPU

GPU
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4361#ov

PSU=Corsair CX750

Putting together for my uncle and it just one huge headache. So far I have reformated 2 times first I thought it was HDD go bad so i got SSD to replace it.

Well that didnt stop the system from BSOD daily and EACH BSOD refer to something else Memory Management, Interrupt issue ASD.sys so far the BSOD count is up to 20 + each BSOD mentions something different.

I have got the latest BIOS for the MB too that didnt help. I check the ram with both Memtest and the built in 1 in win7 both say nothing is wrong.

I test the ram in all the slots system will only boot if it in the 1a and 1b ( the first black and yellow slots, if put ram in 2a 2b ( second black/yellow slots) system just goes in to a endless power on and off cycle never even making it to a post screen.

And if that wasnt a enough EVERY NVIDIA driver i throw at it TDR error constantly.

I am thinking the MOBO is bad so i gona RMA it the ram is lifetime so i rma that too. and GPU well i just not gona deal with the TDR so the GPU is being rma to.

They all gona be RMA one way or another. I cant see how its the CPU but guess that will be RMA too if all the other rma dont fix it cause when the system works it works great. but I am told the system BSOD daily multiple times BSOD errors are never the same and the TDR issue happen daily too. So i told him to RMA it all. but the cpu.

He was coming from a Amd Athlon x 2 wiht 4gb and part he picked out by all rights should run circles around the AMD and it does but it just BSOD after BSOD and when it BSOD its TDR.

He regret spending the money he into for 600+ at this point and i regret telling him to cause Im the one trying to fqiure out what is wrong

This PC which i putting together for my uncle is more of nightmare then the X58 build I have to the right ( which one big nightmare when comes to ram and why i left it 6gbs and never bother to change it cause the these sticks work correctly as I got tired of the disappearing ram trick)

Pretty much made me put any notions of making a new personal build way in the back burner.

If anyone has any idea or incite I honestly think MB is BSOD issue and the GPU is the TDR issue. RAM is being RMA regardless.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's a tough one. I probably would have gone for a lesser wattage, but higher quality PSU.

I don't know what ASD.sys is for, it's not a standard Windows file. I see you're running Windows 7 on it. Just keep in mind Windows 7 support is waning, if he intends to keep it for 4 or 5 years like a lot of people do, it will have to be updated to Windows 9 at some point :).

I am also a little anti-'B' chipset, I think if you want a budget chipset board you should at least go for a 'H', like H97.

The following board is $5 more expensive than the one bought, and I think it would be 'much better':
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8992491&CatId=8586

I just see the B85 as cheap and nasty. It's not necessarily just the chipset itself, but because the boards that utilise this chipset usually have the lower end components on them (as they are targeted at being cheap). That said, your issue still shouldn't occur.

I would have also gone 2x4 GB, even if not gaming it it still beneficial due to cached memory.

Have you tried Windows 8.1 and see if there is a difference?

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    RMA window threw Tigredirect is gone as he waited to long to tell me about these problems. so returning it to them for another MOBO isnt gona happen that and this was Bundle for the above CPU/MEM/MB + case

All RMA are going threw Manufacture at this point. He one those people that didnt want to pay money new pc with quailty parts. it took me 7+ years to get to to actual buy GPU that wasnt a sub 100$ entry level card. as he had heart attack pay 300$ just for the MB/CPU/RAM /Case bundle.

He bought the cheapest parts he could find, and as result you can see what happen. now that he it for like 600$ he wish he just bought prebuilt pc.

Win8 wont happen he hates it more then i hate it.

This first build i ever seen in 20+ years BSOD to no end of multiple reformat him to seeing been building is pc for 20 years too. which why i think those cheap low end Mobo he gets final bite im in the ass so the speak. TDR issues aside i really think that Mobo is bad.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey man can u run memtest hci to see if it gives errors?

Btw I just built my mate an X58 rig with a Sabertooth and 920 @4ghz and he couldn't be happier....his old rig was a P4 lol.

5. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Put the RAM into the black slots only. That should be the proper configuration for 2 sticks.

If that does nothing try running 1 stick in the slot closest to the CPU. If you have no issues swap for the other stick and try again. This will tell you whether it is the RAM or the motherboard.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Ran Memtest and win7 built in test No errors on the ram.

As for x58 i have is great Mobo but it is known for have disappearing ram issues and i gave up 3 years ago trying to figure out why as nothing i did ever fixed so i left the 6gb 3x2gb dominator set i have in it mind you that was 300$ ram set back when i got it same set was rma and that rma worked correctly with no disappearing ram and the correct speeds. I tried Ripjaw 3x4gbs set once it worked correctly for 2 days correct speed and no disappearing ram then 1 of those stick started going missing, went back to the rma set i got and everything is fine never bother after that.

This one stick of ram He does not have 2 sticks.

The 2 ram slots Black/yellow slots closest to the CPU are only ram slots that work the 2 farthest from it Black/Yellow do nothing but, put the system into a power up/down loop that never gets to a Post screen

Which is why the Ram is being RMA and the MB cause cause of the 2 bottom slots not even booting with sticks in them. as i should be able to test that 1 stick in each and every slots and the system should boot.

That and i really hoping the BSOD ( every BSOD refered to something diffrent none of them refered to same thing) is caused by the MB cause if RMA the Ram and MB dont fix that BSOD issues that the multiple formats never fixed, that would mean a cpu issue and I never had to RMA intel cpu for as long as I been building PC so that would be first right there. I mean granted his CPU idles 28 off cold boot or 35c ish after if been up running a while which about same temp mine does. His does hits 70+c under OCCPT test and mine never budges pas t 65C he has http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Cooler/Air_Cooler_/NiC/C_00002030/NiC_F4/design.htm. But i dont see that being the cause of BSOD cause it BSOD on desktop or while just browsing the web.

As for the TDR issue I convinced it a GPU issue seeing EVERY nvidia driver I throw at going back first drivers for the 660gtx have this problem. and I not gona play the voltage game. If it dont work correctly it goes back plain and simple. Then again if the MB is the cause of BSOD problem this could easy cause my TDR issues too.

I mean i have issues with my X58 build that Ram disppearing issues. I have BENT pins on this MB that arnt straight either but only time I had TDR symptoms was when my 9800GTX ram went even then I Didnt get actual TDR drivers have reset message.

Now any time I tried to OC my CPU the OC is never stable which probably due to those pins. But I never had BSOD on the build other then when it was BSOD due to OC and since i took it off I never seen BSOD

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    They both run in DOS, can u try memtest hci as well....

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Are you running bios 2108?

B85M-G BIOS 2108
    Improve memory compatibility.

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Can't really help you with the problems you are seeing with your uncles PC, but as for disappearing RAM on x58 motherboards the trick to restoring it is by removing all but 1 stick and then reset the CMOS, add the second stick, power up the PC make sure it's all there then shut it down and install the 3rd stick, all your RAM should now be usable.

It's a pain to do but does seem to work.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yah i tried all that it never worked right 5 ram set down the road none of them ever work right only one that ever did was RMA donimator set i got back. IF i get urge to attempt to upgrade to 12gb ram again i will try this way again.

Never heard of that I give it try next i over his place

I think that is the most recent bios, which if it is then that was last think i tried before say RMA it all.

He is RMA GPU/RAM/MB ironically he want to go to microcenter pay another 90$ get another MB to just see if it the MB. so i guess i have another format job this weekend

Side note

My fun for the day was my Personal PC "X58 build" I turn it on to day and apparent my CMOS was corrupt/invalid I had to reset my bios and put personal settings back for to boot up lmao. Never seen that happen only think i can think of that would cause that is Cmos Battery dieing but dont we get warnings about that? I mean my window was open all night and it nice cool in my room but i dont see that causing anything like that.

this X58 got last another year or 2

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The CMOS battery should well and truly outlast the computer, although if the board had been sitting around without power connected for a couple of years it could have drained the battery.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yep and funny thing is norton av was not on his pc. it was just one of the many many diffrent bsod he got.

i know it should which why found it strange and no this pc X58 build has been up and running for 5+ years every day powered on and powered off at end of day. which is why I was shocked when I woke up and powered it on to see it say in CMOS setup was invalid and had to reset defaults and put settings back to get booted again.

14. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Hey Dude, sound like alot of non-fun :)

Anyway, it sounds very much like a RAM issue, very much...

May not be faulty RAM or Board, just a problem with it auto-detecting RAM settings and thus causing the crashing...

I would test by upping voltage on RAM to 1.65 and test...

If that doesn't work take speed down to 1333Mhz and test...

If that doesn't work set all RAM timings manually in BIOS and leave at 1.65...

I've done a few builds that would not stay stable unless all memory timings were manually set, it's annoying and you shouldn't have to do it, but that's what happens when building custom machines :) (I do it for a living :)

Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You know that is one thing i didnt think of was to check timmings and settings are correct on the ram.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So i droped the ram from 1600 to 1333 and put voltage to 1.65 it stop Prime95 from coming back with fatel errors in rounding numbers and stop Aida64 stability test from out right failing in 10 seconds.

So ram did/does have issue weather it fixed the BSOD i wont know but it goes more then 3 days with out BSOD then that would mean ram was the issue seeing it doest go 1 day with BSOD.