MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Temperature Issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TarToast, Jun 3, 2017.

1. TarToast

TarToast Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I've recently notice a problem with my MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X. When never I'm gaming or running test I've notice my temperature will go as high as 82c.

I've tried with my case completely open and this seem to only make difference of 1-2 degree (it drops to 80c). The speed of the fan is at 80% or around 2000RPM using the default fan profile with no overclock applied.

All my temperature and fan reading where done via MSI Afterburner and the test I've been running are the loop test from 3DMark (but happens in any modern games).

Is this normal for my card? It looks high to me compared to the reviews I read.

2. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What did you expect with air cooling? Before horde of "air cooling in enough" guys runs in here, its not enough.

What resolution are you using, which games, turned all settings on max I assume? What is your screens refresh rate, did you Cap fps?

There are a lot of factors, reason why I always will go with AIO is pretty much what you summed up.

Had two of my cards burn due to high temps, never again.

Try the following with same settings for which ever game you had -
    Instead of uncapped Fps, cap it to Say 98, if your screen is 120hz+ try to put refresh rate to 100 as well.

See how combination of those two affect your temps.

Open case does not always mean - cooler card. Well ventilated case is much better than a simply open side panel + you get lots of dust and dirt.

And so do many others, however not once I had same temps as all of the testers. Mine were ALWAYS higher with any air cooled card.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    So your telling him to to strangle his cards performance so it doesnt get hot? , there are millions of air cooled cards out there that run perfectly fine. It doesnt matter what his resolution or settings are his card isnt performing as it should and its nothing to do with the fact he doesnt have liquid cooling

5. TarToast

TarToast Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I played around more last night with the card and decided to reply the TIM on the card. What a difference, my card temperature are now hovering around 73c with the case close using the same 3dmark loop test.

My ambient temp is always ~20 in the computer room this time of the year, so I was suspecting something wasn't right with the cooling.

Thanks for the help.

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    AIO isn't any better than regular air cooling. More fans = better temps, that more or less sums it up.

Air cooling, decent air cooling, is more than enough for these cards. Mine stays right above 60°C (where the fans start to kick in), at 40% fan speed (~1000rpm), with more than 2GHz core clock. More than sufficient.

Decent water cooling would have a hard time to give me 20% more performance or drop temps by 20°C as it did in earlier days.
    I'll safe myself of the hassle for 100MHz (at best, at the highest possible voltage) and 5-10°C I might gain (pure cosmetics).

@op: Check the air temperature inside the case. Good airflow will always help. Get the hot air out of the case, cold air will get inside by itself then.
    TIM can also make a difference if the original application was really, really bad.
    If you run into stability problems with the better TIM, try to tinker with the fan curve. VRM and RAM might need more air than they're getting now.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    TIM solved his issue, read above.

Usually an easy fix and rarely do you see a good application of TIM on factory cards..

8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It's still 10°C higher than any temperature I've seen from these cards, so "solved" is relative to me.
    I'd rather call it "improved".

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's relative.

It depends on several factors..

Case airflow, ambient temps, auto fan could be silent, high leakage gpu.. etc
    73c is quite normal temp.

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    True, but mine is silent/auto also. Even though it's supposed to have a better heatsink, MSI shouldn't be more than 10 degrees warmer.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Again, can't really compare.

Unless you have a review comparing the two in the same test environment.

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I have this card and even though it's not possible to compare mine to OPs due to different cases, ambient temps, case fans and so forth - mine runs at 71-74 depending on the game (OCd). I have a Define S with two 140mm intake fans at the front, one at the top and back for pushing air out. Now it's summer so ambient temps are higher than in the winter which means the card runs a bit hotter than usual.