Imperial At-At

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ASPHIAX, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone,

With the Modyssey having a stroke of bad luck with logistics and lasercutted plexiglas arriving broken to pieces and with the biggest LAN Party of the BeNeLux approaching very quickly, I decided it was time to do a special build.

With Star Wars up in my all time favorite movies and the IMPERIAL AT-AT being one of my all time favorite models from the series, the idea had been circling my brain for quite some time. I asked around in the SCIFI OCD group if there was anyone who had access to a 2010 HASBRO IMPERIAL AT-AT that i could buy, but unfortunately noone had one and buying it from Amazon or Ebay was just crazy expensive.

Untill I got the email that changed my universe for ever. I could aquire a AT-AT for roughly the price of a Coolermaster Cosmos II, about half what I had to pay before. A mini-ITX was soon scored after and the build could commence !

So what have we got ?

An IMPERIAL AT-AT, i7 2600k, Zotac Z68 Wifi-a, CPU GPU, Mosfet and NB/SB Waterblocks Crucial SSD, 2 x 240 Radiator and a XSPC Pump. Around 250 pics, 30 minutes of rough video of the build that I need to edit and a whole list of small stuff I need to do in the last days.

I will be posting a update on the work involved every day for the next 2 weeks or so.

Hope you like it!

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the picture that sold me, could immediately see the potential and the creative energy was flowing !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the parts to work with !
    [​IMG]

Another update to come soon !

3. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    Cool idea. You will be doing a lot of cutting to have room to put your parts in there. Have you thought about how to cool it?

4. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Thanks man !
    Yeah the inside has been completely remodelled to fit all the hardware.
    The cpu, mosfets ans NB have all been watercooled as is the Radeon 6870 gpu.
    The main design criteria is that the exterior has to be as original as possible, and that there should be no visible cables.

5. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the main body. I had to get a lot of stuff out of there to make room for the mini ITX board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the interior out of there I could get a better view on how the fit the hardware.

[​IMG]

The location of the reservoir was quickly found. The space was exactly 60mm. I was expecting to have to restore the model a lot here, but i found a very nice 60 mm res that fitted perfectly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside of the leg. I needed to fit a lot of wires, cables and tubing in there as I wanted NO visible cables !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The start of the base, and figuring out the locations for the radiators.
    [​IMG]

I am going to need a bigger office soon !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued --->>>

6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that was it for this update! With the rough build thought out its off to the finer parts !

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi all, here is another update of the work that I had to do for the AT-AT!

With the hood removed I could start thinking on how I would mount (and cover the non attractive parts) of the hardware!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to cut out the middle section of the models interior baseplate without messing to much with the fixation points that provided its structural strength.
    Cut away to much and it would not be capable of supporting the hardware.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Replaced the frosted plexi with a piece of UV red I had laying around. This will fit better into the overall lighting scheme.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing around with the location of the pump !
    [​IMG]

This looks like an easy job but actually took a couple of hours getting it to fit exactly with no luight from the interior shing through on the sides, the hood needed to to fit perfectly and the pump had to be taken apart to fit into the hole in the vertical piece of plexi. Must have done 50 test fittings in total.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the main design criteria was that it had to look original from the outside, so the pump had to be well inside the model for the backdoor to close. (unfortunately this also meant my GTX580 was 2 cm to long)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the original idea, the hardware on that location was soon changed to the I/O plate!
    [​IMG]

Well that was it for now !
    Next update will have my first ever build video (let me know what you think!)
    Laters

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Very Original...:)

9. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Thanks !
    But actually, after a couple of weeks building I found out that there are 2 other AT-AT's around. Both in the US and aircooled though, so mine is different by default. Both are great projects and love to see diversity like that!

10. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'm really interested in how you manage to fit everything in there..
    Awesome idea thou :)

11. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Very cool idea. I really like the model AT-AT. The nerd factor is over the top.

12. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    When this is done, you can having a matching server made from the Death Star.

13. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Hi and thanks for sharing.
    I really enjoy seeing projects like this.

And R2-D2 as wireless router...

14. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That looks awesome, cant wait to see how it all comes together

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    That will become more clear in a couplepof days in update 5 I think!
    Thanks!

LOL, Thanks! The AT-AT is one of my all time favorites! I am just so lucky I couldget one to the netherlands as they are not sold in europe!

Actually I was planning on building this as my NAS. The Cylon Resurrection NAS But I really need a cnc or a laser to cut out the 152 perfectly identical parts. This makes it very expensive!

Actually this is a very cool idea! I have a small 12 port GB router that I use for all my PC's. This could fit into a R2d2 model. This one is going into the books!

Thanks ! Will be posting another update shortly!

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Can't believe I didn't see this, looks fantastic. :)

17. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi all, here is another update of the work that I had to do for the AT-AT!

Started work on all the cabling that had to be extended through the legs and into the body for the pc hardware. The 2x240 radiators and PSU will come in the base.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to cut out a lot of plastic to be able to route all the cables through. But I had to do that again without compromising the structural integrity of the model asa AT-AT that continuously drop to its knees wont destroy any rebel bases soon!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had to route 2 x 3/8th Tygon tubing to and from the rads into the legs. This was a very tricky point. I do have some restriction in my loop now, but the cooling works beautifully!
    [​IMG]

When all the wiring was done, I had to trace them all to be sure I wouldnt connect any of them incorrectly!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the cabling installed! What did I install in total:
    2 X 6 Wire GPU Pwr
    4 + 4 Wire Mobo Pwr
    24 Wire ATX Connector
    4 Wire Molex
    HDMI
    USB2.0
    CAT5e
    2 x 3/8th Tubing
    [​IMG]

Continued ---

18. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    --- Continued

Also installed a little fan, its all watercooled (except for the RAM) But having some airflow is never a bad thing!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The connection to the base. This way it can move around the base a little but is still firmly attached (this is actually one of the first thing I will change; get a full modular psu)
    [​IMG]

AT-AT Chainsaw Massacre --- There's legs everywhere !!
    [​IMG]

Anyone got a wiring scheme???
    [​IMG]

Luckely I had some tiny helper hands for them hard to reach places!
    [​IMG]
    That was it for this update !
    Laters!

19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
  20. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice video. Sure, I would like to see more of them. Question: what kind of camera are you using? The picture is crystal-clear.