£1100 Gaming Build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Poulter, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Hey,
    Was wondering if i could get some help on a sub £1100 gaming build, no need for mouse/keyboard/OS.
    Was thinking EVGA 3gb 660ti ftw+, Zalman z11+ and the dell ultrasharp 24" monitor and the corsair h60 2013 edition, but i'm unsure on these and the rest of the build, any help would be appreciated, going to be playing LoL/EvE and Darkfall etc. SSD Would be great too
    EDIT: also been looking at the new MSI z77 gaming boards, are they worth it?

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So you literally need 'everything'? Monitor / Os / peripherals? I'll put a build together for you this afternoon when I've a little more time if you've had no other responses. You can use it as a reference point at least.

3. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Everything apart from OS/keyboard/mouse. And thanks alot :D

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Actually, looking at the budget I might as well just repost a build I put together for someone else in another thread. Near identical requirements.

Screenshot taken from OCUK. Shopping around will probably net you a better deal, I just find the OCUK website paticularly easy to navigate. I'd say it's a solid reference build to gain an idea of what you should be looking at for that money.

Samsung Green can often OC to 2400mhz if you feel you want more speed out of your memory, motherboard supports sli/crossfire if desired in the future along with a PSU that will happily run such a config. Enough money left to choose a case and monitor. If you get a decent £50-60 case (Such as a Corsair 300R) that should just about leave you enough for a 24" Ultrasharp, although I'd reconsider as there have been a lot of complaints about them on the forum of late due to nasty anti-glare coatings.

Note: The HD7950's are fantastic overclockers, and will OC beyond 680 speeds without too much hassle. While the 660ti's are decent cards, for the price point they simply do not offer as much as AMD. You will not get a 660ti to the same levels of performance a 7950 can hit.

If you really want to stick with Nvidia, you should look at a 670 at least to compete with the 7950, and even then the 7950 will often pull ahead when overclocking. That said you do get PhysX and CUDA support if that means anything to you. If you've no intention of ever going for a multi-gpu setup you could save on the PSU and motherboard to buy a better card (670/7970) or spend the difference on a soundcard and some decent headphones (Which I'd personally recommend).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    My thoughts would be:
    7970 (or 7950), 3 GB of RAM makes it futureproof.
    Z77 board and 3570K
    8/16 GB of 1866 MHz DDR3
    256 GB SSD for boot drive, 1TB for storage
    ~700W PSU.

Of course if you're willing to wait a little while, Haswell is out soon...

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Darkest´s build is an excellent start point but i would rather invest in a better psu than that xfx. Go with corsair.

Also a sound card, of course!

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A better PSU? It's a Seasonic built unit, just like a lot of the Corsair PSU's. :p

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Missing a case, too.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A case is more of a personal preference, which is why I left it out. I recommended one that should fit with his budget however. You'd be limited to around the £50-60 mark if aiming for a monitor in the £200 range. There's definitely room to shuffle, if he's never going to go multi gpu he could shave money off the motherboard and power supply. A 550w unit would be just fine for a single card. It all depends on his priorities really. I'd personally go single gpu and get a sound card, but a lot of people overlook audio.

Speaking again about the XFX PSU: As I said they're Seasonic made, just like the Corsair units everyone goes gaga over. Honestly, for the price it's a fantastic PSU. I'm looking around at other Seasonic made 750w silver PSU's and they're all a good deal more expensive.

JohnnyGuru review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=184 (Pretty sure this is the same supply as the one in the review).

10. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/dd1410592eb84ff4a48fe0ecdfcc9b18
    The above is what i've come up with, iw on't be buying all from this site, but its easy to link it all in once place and with deals etc, with everything it comes to £1080 including delivery.
    This 660ti to 670 is £50 that i really can't afford, this budget is stretching right to max as it is, also the case i'm getting i think is the z11+, but they don't have it on that website, just seems the best for the money (just under £50 on another site)
    I'm willing to change things if people can come up with better for the same money, but i'm kinda thinking of sticking to nvidia, as i don't really plan on overclocking the GPU

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You could afford it by dropping down to a cheaper motherboard and HSF. You're not going to be going multi-gpu with that power supply. You could also drop down to a cooler such as the one I suggested over the costly H60. I'm not fond of low-mid range all in one water loops. A Gigabyte Z77 D3H + True Spirit 120/Evo 212 would more than save you the £50. You'd get more performance in the end.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd reconsider that monitor. There's been a lot of fuss about anti-glare coatings lately with Dell monitors.

The Z11 is a good case for the price, and offers a lot. I'll forewarn you however, it's a pain in the arse to work in compared to something like a 300R. The front panel is an absolute bastard to remove.

12. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    All the reviews for that h60 cooler were amazing :(
    The 670 that much better than the 660ti? which 670 would you suggest, and on the monitor front, which one would beat the U2412m? I've only ever heard great things about it too. But true, i won't be doing multi-gpu, so the Z77 D3H is the best for this sort of build?
    EDIT: sorry for all the annoying quesitons, just want to make the sure i'm getting the best, its alot of money to spend :p I'll just be using this build for Creo and MMO gaming, some FPS stuff etc. yeah i've been told about that problem with the z11+, but i'm completely sold on it, looks amazing!

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    There's no problem with asking questions, it's the best way to learn :p

I'd say the 670 is worth it over a 660ti, personally speaking. The 7950 is also, and it's the same price as a 660ti. I wont try to harass you into overclocking your GPU, but if you do decide to give it a go it's a fairly painless endeavour and there are a lot of people on the forum willing to help and guide you through the process.

If you're not going multi-gpu then yes, I'd aim for something like the Z77-D3H. You're looking at roughly £80 for one, and it has a healthy feature set for the cost. You will not notice a difference when gaming between it and a more expensive motherboard such as the one you have listed.

For the HSF, I just feel £60 for that paticular cooler is over priced. Do you intend to overclock your processor? I'd highly recommend it, especially with getting the K model. Even if you don't go wild, it's so easy to OC the current gen i5's that you could just about set your multi to 40 (Which would set the chip to 4ghz per core) and forget all about it. For this sort of use a True Spirit 120 / Evo 212 will work just as well for half the price.

14. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    What i was thinking was to go for the 660ti, and maybe in a year double up on another one, that's all, just so i didn't have to then spend a bucket load on upgrading the gpu? So maybe its the PSU i should change instead? I would be thinking to overclock the processor slightly yes, just so i can try my hand at it, along with starting with a water cooling on just the cpu, and then maybe the next build work it up to fully watercooled and duo GPU :D

15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Didn´t know, but some xfx psus have particular problems.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The PSU would need to be better for SLI, so that's another option if you want to take it. The unit I suggested is spectacular for the price point, but any 750-850w unit from the likes of XFX, Corsair, Seasonic etc will be suitable for those purposes.

The cooler you're looking at isn't really proper water cooling, by the way. It's an all in one unit, and wont be indicative of building a custom loop in the future.

Really? I've never seen any personally, do you have any links? I'd be interested in reading over them.

17. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    yes sorry i should have clarified, i've just been told by alot of people that the cooler was really good, and was just the first step on living with something quieter :p
    If i changed the PSU kept the 660ti and mobo, would that be a good choice?
    Which monitor should i change to?

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's a pretty solid choice, sure. There might be better motherboards for that sort of price, mind you. I'm a bit weary of MSI boards and would probably opt for a GA-Z77X-UD3H for that sort of money. As for the monitor, that depends on what you want really. Are you after an IPS for good colours, or a 120hz TN for smoothness and response times while gaming? There are a fair few options for that price range. Asus and BenQ are generally worth taking a look at. I'm not massively clued up on monitors in that price range however, so others will probably have more to say.

19. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Ah could you recommend any better motherboards, i only chose this one as it was put across as a gaming one, and came out this week :p The monitor wise, its mainly for fps gaming, darkfall with a bit of EvE and LoL too. But i don't think my GPU would be able to reach 120hz on alot of games, and was just told that the U2412m was amazing for the price. I'm not clued up on the monitors at all, just want it to look good :p

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The "Gaming" thing is just marketing really, I'd not pay much attention to it. The GA-Z77X-UD3H is a good option, as is the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6. Both are solid boards for the price range, the Asrock being the better of the two.