AB load profile at startup question

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by derailius, Sep 1, 2015.

1. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    So, I've defined a profile to be loaded at startup with AB via the checkbox under the desired profile on the GUI. It loads fine (either with windows startup, or just manually starting AB), however it doesn't load the custom fan curve with the profile, is there anything I can do?

I've also set

StartupViaTaskScheduler = 1
    StartupDelay = 40000

in the cfg, thinking that somehow it was starting too fast and conflicting with amd catalyst at boot time, it was not.

All other methods to load the profile will also load the fan curve just not at startup of the program. which is what i would like to do.

even if I assign keyboard shortcuts to load the profile it WILL activate the fan curve along with the desired profile. I even tried to make a vbscript file to load with windows to send the keyboard shortcuts, but alas, it didn't work :)

(the vbs file was correct, but AB ignored the keystrokes)

I'm confused and I give up. I'm hoping I can just change something in the cfg, or even perhaps use a command line switch to load the profile I want.

Help?

EDIT: Ya, I just realized profiles have nothing to do with fan control being loaded at startup. Could someone just tell me what the CLI switch is to start AB with the fan curve activated? Pretty please?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    I wanted to add a bit of information. I had this same fan profile not loading at startup with windows 7 and windows 8 and 8.1 and now 10. I just need to know how to force fan profile at startup. Please.

3. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Don't own AMD and going by a weak memory, isn't there something that needs disabled in CCC ... overdrive, etc.

4. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    everything works fine, the fan curve, even the overclock, after i've manually selected which profile to use, it just doesn't load the custom fan curve with it at startup, only the overclock. which is kind of dangerous for me since the default curve on my card is garbage. but yes, i have AMD overdrive disabled. in CCC.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Thats really strange. fan curved worked for me on my R9 290, HD 7850 crossfire, Hd 7950 crossfire, and my HD 5850 in my step sons PC. The HD 5850 is not overclocked. I only use AB for FPS and fan curve. Loads right up once AB is loaded. I have AB setting to apply overclocking settings at system start even though there is no overclock and this is on Windows 7 with the HD 5850. All of my other Radeon gpus were used on Win 8.1.

6. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    This is exactly what i'm trying to achieve so I'm really not sure what the problem is. Maybe i'll do a complete reinstall and see if that helps, thanks for the replies

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    you need these 2 enabled , from AB main window "apply OC at system startup" needs to be enabled, along with under settings>general>start with windows .

It should work then AB needs to be running for fan curves .

8. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    yes both of those options are set already, it starts with windows, applies the overclock, just does not apply the fan curve unless i manually reload the profile. I'm getting ready to reinstall and hope it cures it, probably something in my cfg that is screwy. (i hope)

9. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    uninstalled leaving no left over files, deleted the MSI Afterburner folder, rebooted. Installed fresh, rebooted, unlocked core voltage, rebooted. Then set my fan curve and default profile, set it to load at startup and then boot with windows, reboot, same effect - the overclock will load but not the fan curve. only when i reload the profile manually does it load the fan curve, I'm stumped.

10. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    some more information - if i set my AB profile to be user-defined but NOT auto, it will change the default fan power percentage from 20% to whatever I set as minimum (at startup). BUT it's static and does not change with increased temperatures. I really hope I'm narrowing this down somewhat.

11. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    Is there a way to load a profile via a shortcut on the desktop? At this point I'm just trying to figure out a work around.

12. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    1) How many .cfg files are in your Afterburner\Profiles folder and what are their names.
    2) Do you show AB starting/running as a scheduled task?
    3) Do you see a line in Profiles\MSIafterburner.cfg called SwAutoFanControl=1 ?

Not sure I can help here bc I don't have AMD and don't have Windows 10 but you seem desperate and maybe we can stumble onto something.

Are you sure CCC isn't messing things up?

13. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    1) 3 cfg files

MSIAfterburner.cfg
    VEN_1002&DEV_67B1&SUBSYS_E283174B&REV_00&BUS_1&DEV_0&FN_0.cfg
    VEN_8086&DEV_0412&SUBSYS_79171462&REV_06&BUS_0&DEV_2&FN_0.cfg

2) yes scheduled task - I will say though, that the startup with windows part doesn't matter because even if i load the program manually it will load the profile i want but it will not load the fan profile until i reload the profile again manually.

3) yes SwAutoFanControl=1

final question) I cannot say with 100% certainty that it's not but, I've reinstall windows several times, starting with win 7, windows 8.1 and then win 10, each time I have had several different versions of catalyst installed and each time made sure that overdrive was NOT enabled. What i can say is that I doubt Catalyst is screwing it up, but I'm not 100%. I am using an SSD and AB loads super fast is there any possibility it's loading too fast? I do not mean at startup with windows, i have that set to a 45 second delay now, I simply mean from program execution it's just there.

thanks for you guys'/gals' responses

Edit: Here are the files in the Profiles folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2pmqa8xitwjobn/Profiles.zip

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  14. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Why don't you uninstall AB and choose not to save any info. Reboot and reinstall AB. Before reinstall if your confident enough search the regisrty for "Unwinder" and delete those entries. (shouldn't be any).
    Once reinstalled do not mess with OC profiles or make any profiles at all and just focus on fan control.
    In the settings>fan tab, set up a fan curve and check the box to "enable user defined fan control" and of course check the boxes to start AB with Windows and apply overclocking at start up. Make the fan control so that a low GPU temperature would still create a high fan speed. All this would be just to test and see if fan control will work at start up.

15. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    same exact issue :(

16. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Well it's 3 things then:
    AB needs updated possibly to work with your OS and card.
    Your card fan is not software controllable.
    Your missing something in setting up/saving, etc.

Good luck.

17. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    the fan is controllable but i have to manually reload the profile, it's just not controlling on startup of windows, or loadup of the program, i'm using the latest AB, I've even tried older versions of AB. We've walked through the settings, i'm not missing anything. Thanks for you help though man, really appreciate you giving an effort

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Does CCC have any kind of fan options ?
    maybe that is messing with AB fan profile depending on which log in first .

Can you disable CCC so it doesn't load at startup ?
    I honestly don't know if its needed as never used ATI/AMD product .

As Boogieman mentioned it could be a win10 issue with drivers and AB .

19. derailius

derailius Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9-290
    Yes I've tried loading up without CCC, and there aren't any fan options that I can see. I've just done a silly workaround and wrote a script that literally moves the mouse and clicks the daggon buttons to load the profile at startup. It's only stupid if it doesn't work, but it works. I really wish I didn't have to do that though, I'd rather find the solution rather than a workaround. But yes, I've tried even without having CCC installed, just the display driver, still the same issue. Its just weird that it will apply the Overclock, but refuses to apply the fan curve until i either right click the AB icon in the taskbar and reload the profile, or manually click the 1-2-3-etc profile button within AB.

I'm completely stumped...what's even weirder is that I'll load up AB right, it loads the profile, not the fan curve, I went in and changed the skin and it applied the fan curve, so changing a setting in AB forces it to reload the fan curve as well.

This happened on Win7, Win 8, Win 8.1 and now Win 10 all different versions of drivers.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015