Faulty GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Scarecrow7, May 24, 2014.

1. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Hello. :)
    A week ago, I received the famous "1 long beep, 3 shorts beeps" from my MOBO with my XFX HD 6870. I just rebooted the system and everything were fine, I've played like for all day and even reboot it like 3 times. Even played Dead Space 1 in 4K, lol. Temps were fine since two months ago I've changed the thermal compound and cleaned it.

Next day, the beeps reapeared and since day is the only thing it does.

So, I just removed it from my MOBO and left the onboard chipset do his job (it sucks, but at least I got video and my PC booted normally). With this, I changed the device boot priority (from PCI-E > PCI > IGP to IGP > PCI > PCI-E) and I was able to boot my system with my HD 6870 connected, yet not really functional.

Them I just ripped all drivers from AMD with DDU and gave driver 14.4 a shot (the installer recognized my GPU as an AMD "Barts" 6800 and carried on). Of course this not changed nothing and it is still not functional.

THEN, I opened GPU-Z and I got some really weird stuff:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now, obvious there's something damaged within, but someone already saw something like that and can tell what it can be? I mean, if I could fix it would be great, my GPU can be dated but works fine for my gaming habits.

I'm already looking for a new GPU, probably will be a R9 270x (prices in Brazil are great, really, the new R9 295X just appeared here for 6000 reais, something like U$ 2.704,29, Sapphire Brasil is eating ****). Import from ebay is also out of question, with taxes and shipping woud be actually worse, since delivery are targeted for > July, lol

Sorry for my English, I'm not so good at it and I'm little drunk.
    Friday night here and I can't even play TF2 and do some drunk **** in it, lol

Thanks for reading this awful wall of text.

P.S: I can't really test the GPU in another computer for now.
    So, I've not really discarted a faulty PCI-E slot yet.

P.S²: My linux distro recognizes the HD Audio from my GPU, but any attempt to open fglr give me a crash.

P.S³: I've tried do acess the flashrom with ATIWinflash, but this also does not work.

TL;DR: Take a look at the screenshots and tell me if you already saw this and if is possible to fix it (or pay someone to do it).

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Change PCI-E slots first. If no result, it's junked. Not much else you can do.

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    All i can say is changing the TIM on a GPU is something I never do, and can't even really recommend doing, unless you're using an aftermarket heatsink on it. They usually use thermal pads on the memory... and quite often on the GPU itself... which do a better job at filling a larger gap should there be one. IIRC, i've even seen pictures where people cleaned the GPU off, leaving the pads on the memory, and when they put the heatsink on again, the GPU was barely being touched.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    HuH? no mid end > high end gpus use thermal pads for the core.

5. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Yeah, the thermal pads are only for the memory/VRM.
    The thermal pads are fine.

The thermal paste is also correctly applied, it is a Extreme Fusion X1 from CoolerMaster (it received some good reviews at Tom's Hardware). I'm always monitoring the temps, since this XFX model can be quite warm using stock fan levels.

And thanks for the responses.
    My MOBO only have one PCI-E x16 slot, so I will try to carry the GPU across the city and find some place to test it, hue

EDIT: I already told that I'm planning buying a R9 270x.
    For this card, would 4GB of vRAM be a little overkill?

2GB cards are common with this model, but I found a 4GB model from Sapphire and the price is not so bad.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Try the card on another PC also, just to make sure its not your MoBo.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Since when? I haven't changed a GPU heatsink in quite some time (since there both hasn't really been a need for it, nor have i been able to due to space constraints)... but i'm pretty sure the last ones i've changed DID use a pad on the core. Think my 8800GTX did...

Still.... one way or the other, something just didn't seem to line up if you tried to remove and reapply the stock heatsink.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    8800GTX didn't use one either. Only very low end stuff uses it

9. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    I just wanna to say thank you guys, it seems that my 6870 is really dead.

In good news, I've bought a R9 280X.
    Now I'm entering in touch with the store to receive my unique ID and redeem some games at Never Settle Forever, since I could not find it within the package. :D

It is a HIS model, very cool and quiet even with Skyrim + ENB.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The HIS card is good :). When I bought by R9-280X soon after they came out, I looked very much in to the reviews. It was pretty much the coolest and best performing card, it ran much cooler than some other brands, beyond what you would expect considering they were all supposedly using their best (at the time) cooling solutions.