MS dramatically scaling down Windows Phone business

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by alanm, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As with any OS, the device makes a big difference. I've had a Microsoft KinTwoM, HTC Trophy, Lumia 635 and Lumia 640. The Trophy, 635 and 640 were all very fluid. There was no lag in the OS at all, unlike most Android devices. The OS was completely stable, unlike most Android devices. The phones did exactly what I needed from a "smart phone". The OS is designed to be easy to use. Most settings are exactly where they're expected to be. There is no real fragmentation between devices so switching from 1 to another is seamless, unlike Android. Android is getting better, but Windows Phone offers a convenience that Android is just starting to. The only thing really lacking on Windows Phone is apps. The app selection is horrible. I just got lucky and every app I actually needed was available.

2. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    device does matter a lot, hence why I love my G2, it was better than anything else last year, and IMO, still is, even than the G3.

However, in terms of the OS, I've found Android to be perfectly stable, and lag, maybe a bit, but then I find what it lags on I can't compare to on WP, i.e. opening Earth or Playing HD games, though the games don't lag once in them.

In terms of WP layout, I disagree, I don't find it easy at all, I think the layout is an awful cluttered mess, and with only 1 effective layout (save for moving a few tiles about), and settings that are non existent, limited or unhelpful, compared to what I am used to on Android.

Admittedly changing devices on Android is not as easy as it could be, but as its not something I do frequently, its not really a yardstick for me.
    Overall still, using my work Lumia on a daily basis for that past 10 months, I still hate it and it does nothing in convincing me that even a faster WP would be a better experience.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Everyone has their own opinion. Even with my G4, I still prefer WP. So far, this G4 is the best Android device I've owned. I've had a Samsung Transform Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Stellar, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, some cheap Android tablet, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and now my G4. I've never had an issue navigating settings in WP. With Android, the location and even existence of some settings varies by phone. That's an irritation for me because I rarely keep a phone more than a year. I've been with my with my current carrier for 2 years now and have had 9 phones already between the (ex-)wife and I.

4. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Agreed, it is a personal thing. Though I feel the same about apple, in that I would never have one, but that is for different reasons, we are all anti-apple in our house. Thankfully my daughter loves android too instead of being suckered into an expensive iphoney.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have no issue with iPhones or Apple. I have an issue with elitists that buy Apple products thinking it makes them better than others and employees of Apple that think it's fine for them to steal ideas from other companies while suing companies that implement generic ideas..... Those are the only reasons I refuse to own an i-product.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I don't see this as a sinking ship at all. Quite the contrary.

1.) They want to eliminate copying androids ridiculous fragmentation. No point have 85 variations of a phone.

2.) They NEED to quit producing so many Lumias if they want any sort of support by OEMs like LG, HTC, etc. Right now Lumia's make up 96% of ALL Windows phones, that doesn't bode well when you try to get a 3rd party to make a phone for your OS.

I have an HTC One M8 for Windows 8.1 - I love it. I wish there were more apps, but the damn OS is so smooth. I love the UI, I love how there are very few glitches or bugs. It's a solid phone and OS. Don't get me wrong iPhone 6 is my main phone, mainly because of imessage and me having horrible service where I live. imessage is amazing for a guy that has to live off wifi. I can't expect everyone I talk to, especially my job, to download kik or something similar to get in touch with me and thankfully most of my friends and more importantly, bosses, own iphones. If I could receive sms over wifi like I do on iPhone, The HTC would be my main phone without a doubt. Heck, I'd even get a back up android phone to play with and completely rid myself of iPhone, but I need the damn imessage.

Anyways, I do feel Microsoft is too little, too late with mobile. But if they can at least penetrate a solid business segment where blackberry once stood strong, it could give them a foot in the door. Also having apps works across all devices is a big (if not very late) step in the right direction.

I don't see this as MS giving up though. They're being more realistic about where they stand in the mobile segment and are making smarter choices with how they penetrate the market.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This^^

They tried with W8 but W8 launched badly and was a very misunderstood product.

I run into people to this day that won't touch W8 because 'they don't want to be forced to use Metro' :rolleyes: (so much misinformation associated with that launch).

As a consequence WP8 didn't do very well either.

They have a real chance with WX, a really good opportunity to establish themselves in the phone market.

The OS is simply superior to either Android or IOS imho. It is so smooth and functional, not littered with bloaty crap a la Samdung.

WPX just needs to be marketed properly.

I doubt it will be in direct competition with Android or IOS in the near term but with a solid release they can put down a firm foundation and go from there.

I loved the 930 and I am eagerly looking forward to the 940

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    We'll wait and see.
    I have my Lumia 730 and until now i was amazed to see what a third ranked Mobile OS is capable of.
    No problem for me,i will switch to whatever there will available at that time.Change is always welcomed.
    But until then,Wx is almost here.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My 635 and 640 will both get Wx.... My 640 is having issues with screen response. If it's fixed with Wx, I'll switch back to it.